Content for Wednesday, July 3, 2013
- John Moores getting heavily into horse racing
- On-demand ride-sharing firm opens in San Diego
- "The Wrecking Crew" documentary: one day only
- Council President Todd Gloria's Office says no vote was taken to release closed-session transcripts
- How many Americans and Canadians really immigrate to Mexico?
- U.S. investigating $100,000 donation, Channel 10 says
- Padres punked by Red Sox and continue to tread water
- Historic Fourth of July cannon recovered by Save Our Heritage Organisation
- In other San Diego graffiti news….
- Bermuda Triangle claims another victim…in Old Town
- Organics Fair promotes sustainable culture in Tijuana
- Bruck you, Masked Man! 4 cures for the common Lone Ranger
- Dumanis records anti-DUI radio spots
- BOYCOTT STREAMING SCREENERS!
- The Anxiety of Gaming Influence: are bloated blockbuster endings just a version of the Final Boss?
- Douglas Manchester loses Texas bank battle
- Bond bonding
- Escondido man suspected of killing wife is in medical “isolation”
- Local lawyers disciplined
- Property tax revenues up, but short of blistering recent sales numbers
News & Stories
New combo brewery and distillery bleeds red, white, blue, beer, and bourbon
Last weekend, a new local brewery and a local distillery opened to the public…under the same roof. That double-pronged operation goes by the name of BNS Brewing & Distilling (10960 Wheatlands Avenue, Suite 101, Santee). ...
Graffiti or free speech?
In mid-February of 2012 Jeff Olson walked through the aisles at the CVS Pharmacy on University Avenue in North Park. He was there to pick up gifts for his nephews. The 40-year-old former staffer for ...
IB Groomin’ booted from corporate event
A woman wearing a dog costume at the annual Surf Dog Competition in Imperial Beach found out she was caninus non grata when sheriff’s deputies asked her to leave at the request of the event’s ...
By the time Palms plays the first of their tour dates in San Diego, their delayed self-titled CD will finally have been released. Palms is one-fifth Deftones and three-fifths Isis, an L.A.-based quartet consisting of ...
Ed skips Paris, goes to the Plaza Bar at the Westgate Hotel instead.
La Valencia’s Whaling Bar as the place to go to sit and sip and sop up La Jolla sunsets has been replaced by the La Sala Lounge. La Sala bar manager Scotty Moises says the ...
Erin Goss, a publicist by trade, and Louis XIV drummer Mark Maigaard start Sound Off Tees, which will enable featured bands to direct 40 percent of profits to their desired charity.
Fathom Bistro Bait & Tackle on Shelter Island doesn’t specialize in fish — oh, no — it’s sausage and beer and nautical fact and science fiction.
This hike includes trails beneath an old oak canopy, morteros, open meadows, two creeks, and a small pond with a stone weir.
Silver — hey-o!
The list of things that are terrible about The Lone Ranger is long. Reading a complete version might take longer than the film itself (a murderous 2 hours and 20 minutes). It might also be ...
Chris Cote, cofounder/drummer/singer with Kut-U-Up, extols the wonderful offerings of the Garage, a music-and-art venue in Encinitas that opened last year.
The Wave House in Mission Beach will present Barrington Levy July 4. Promoter Eat.Drink.Sleep is charging only $10 for tickets but will raise the price as the date comes closer.
Adam Gimbel of Geezer (a geriatric Weezer spoof band) talks about an upcoming gig at San Francisco’s Great American Music Hall.
Thursday 4Ooh ahh pretty. Happy Independence Day, Patriots! Except you, Aaron Hernandez.... After the sis, the boom, and the bah, hit up Soda Bar, where Toronto collective Grounders join ’lectronic locals Dudes and Island Boy ...
"Attempting to hold back a tsunami”
Utilities such as San Diego Gas & Electric are trying to frustrate rooftop solar. But despite all the utilities' clout and big bucks, rooftop solar will prevail some day.
Miles Anderson does amazing things as Shylock in the Old Globe’s Merchant of Venice, but his most understated choice sets the tone of the play. Bassanio wants to wed Portia, “a lady richly left/ And ...
Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps All-One-God-Faith, Inc., the Escondido hemp oil-mongering outfit — whose president David Bronner was busted last year during a protest in which he locked himself into a cage on the sidewalk in ...
Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and his wife Ann Romney have been lobbying hard to build a new dream manse by the sea in La Jolla’s tony Barber Tract, going so far as to ...
Best Brewery Contender Regarding Brandon Hernández’s comment on Saint Archer Brewery I agree that Saint Archer has come in with more of a whimper than a bang. But...they currently have Yiga Miyashiro as head brewer. ...
Don't be a jerk to the waiter.
A restaurant employee offers blunt tips for diners who are annoying.
Sunday July 4th 1836 I made a vow within my soul, O Child,When thou wert laid beside my weary heart,With marks of death on every tender partThat, if in time a living infant smiled,Winning my ...