Various Authors noon, Jan. 18
San Diego Theater Scene
You may also narrow your search by neighborhood, keyword, or date.
Jump to a venue:
- 2957 54th Street, Oak Park
- Bojo's Place: A Musical Revue (starts January 31, 2020)
- 4545 Park Boulevard, University Heights
- A Kind of Weather (starts February 9, 2020)
- 1363 Old Globe Way, Balboa Park
- August Wilson’s Jitney (starts January 23, 2020)
- 320 Date Street, Downtown San Diego
- Matter of Love: A Theatrical Music Journey
- 145 W. Grand Avenue, Escondido
- High Tea Dinner Theater: Clue On Stage (starts March 5, 2020)
- 2910 La Jolla Village Drive, UCSD
- Fly (starts February 23, 2020)
- POP Tour 2020: Emily Driver's Great Race Through Time & Space (starts February 29, 2020)
- 5915 Severin Drive, La Mesa
- God of Carnage (through February 9, 2020)
- 987-D Lomas Santa Fe Drive, Solana Beach
- Bloomsday (through February 2, 2020)
- 3500 Sports Arena Boulevard, Midway District
- Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party (starts January 23, 2020)
- 3035 Talbot Street, Point Loma
- Making God Laugh by Sean Grennan (starts February 21, 2020)
- 9783 Avenue of Nations, Scripps Ranch
- Italian American Reconciliation (through February 16, 2020)
Madame has been a mistress; that is all, and that is enough.
Toward the end of the Nervous Theatre’s production of Jean Genet’s The Maids — which, by the time you read this, will have departed for Seattle after a one-weekend run at the Tenth Avenue Arts ...
New year, (mostly) new critic
Permit me a wry grimace as I imagine theatrical legend Alec Guinness’ reaction upon learning that a theater critic’s first memory of him — of any sort of performance, really — came from Star Wars. ...
Making the yuletide gay at Diversionary Theatre
Last week, I mentioned the various ways that A Christmas Carol has been tweaked and updated by San Diego theaters in an effort to keep the story from getting lost in its own comfortable familiarity. ...
There’s a reason it’s not called A Christmas Carol
The holiday season is a fine time for recalling the way that familiarity breeds…well, if not contempt, then comfort. If a thing sticks around long enough, it’s easy to forget the revolutionary, shocking, or even ...
Keep on rockin’ in the (un)free world
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s production of Lauren Yee’s Cambodian Rock Band, currently playing at La Jolla Playhouse, opens like a low-budget rock n roll show: black stage, a few colored lights mounted on steel scaffolding, ...
A nonlinear timeline has become quite common in contemporary fiction and film
A crucial component of the storyteller’s craft is placing actions and details in a specific order. For most stories, this is pretty straightforward: start at the beginning, then tell the events in the order they ...
Does every woman need a man to fix her?
Ring Around the Moon is a comedy of manners full of the stock characters that populate the genre. The action happens when everyone is invited up to the grand home of the Dowager Countess for ...
Find someone whose crazy matches your crazy
This is a funny show. It needs to be funny. If it weren’t funny it would be offensive, especially in our delicate and easily offended culture. The characters are so exaggerated that we don’t take ...