Content for Wednesday, January 23, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: 11 Captured for Executions in Toluca Valley; Illegal Sale of Used Cars Continue
- EDEA: DUDES split EP with H | p s
- Baja & Border News Translations: Traditional Medicine Gaining Ground around the World
- Baja & Border News Translations: Municipal DIF Delivers Educational Stimuli; Monthly Unemployment Rates Still Low
- Baja & Border News Translations: Plans to Generate 13,000 Jobs in Mexicali
- Kamau Kenyatta at The Loft
- And now: it's Daniel Jackson time
- Bermuda Triangle! Revealed in Old Town Market Cafe...
- La Jolla oncologist pleads guilty to importing unapproved drug
- Woman accused of felony bad driving after argument
- Tuesdays destination
- Baja & Border News Translations: Domestic Incident leads to Husband’s Marijuana Arrest; Free Education Offered to Addicts
- Ensenada police officer accidentally shoots self in head
- Baja & Border News Translations: Huge Pothole Raises Concerns; Bazar del Aire Goes Off-Air
- Cyclist sues City and San Diego Velodrome Association for unsafe conditions at the Balboa Park cycling track
- Spike in income, profits for local marijuana-focused company
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival tomorrow through Monday at MoPA
- Conclusion of Yves Abel interview at San Diego Opera
- Phileas Foggs speaks proper English
- Public meeting scheduled on San Onofre restart plan
- Good grief: 'Charlie Brown' arrested on felony stalking charges
- Medical marijuana stolen in Imperial Beach
- Dark Horse Coffee is open!
News & Stories
Guns 'n' stoners
A dope deal with a stranger goes — you guessed it — wrong!
Spring House and old façades discussed
At a La Mesa town hall meeting last week (January 17), two residents urged the council to preserve the Spring House in Collier Park. The park on Palm Avenue was named for David Charles Collier, ...
After years of clinging to jobs, workers are expected to seek better employment.
Ed has hot-hot-hot soup at Plumeria, which is a Thai restaurant that bills itself first as “vegetarian.”
The Country Rockin’ Rebels were founded by Bad Science Fiction guitarist Michael Head, operator of local Headtrap Studios for around 20 years, and singer-songwriter Tristan Luhrs. “He and I have worked in my studio since ...
Tiki-cocktail culture might be making a comeback, but at Lou & Mickey’s, it never went away. Take yourself downtown, where bartender Brian Gaudet is ready to take the sting out of your day by putting ...
Golf, fishing, and rock and roll: Jon Goodhue emails that he is just leaving the course at Carmel Mountain Ranch at one point during the month that I spend interviewing him. A San Diego transplant ...
With so many local performers relocating in search of success, Brothers Gow bucked the trend by moving to San Diego this past August. “We didn’t even know we wanted to move from the Bay Area ...
Exploring the Instruments of Torture Exhibit with Dad
I couldn’t think of two people with more divergent worldviews than my father — a ribald Brooklyn boy turned retired naval officer who runs military war games abroad — and the proper young woman with ...
Thursday 24Sunset Strip rock royalty Queen Caveat will rule Bar Pink Thursday night. Led by cagey stage banshee Lauren Little (think young Courtney Love with Joan Jett’s pipes), the hard-rocking quartet’s held residencies at L.A. ...
They didn’t talk about women while working on the Alaskan pipeline project in the ’70s.
John Jorgenson’s one of those guitarists with an astonishing facility, a modern performer capable of firing off lightning-fast Danny Gatton licks without a second thought, or of mastering Django Reinhardt licks using only two fingers. ...
Piano-and-voice teacher Deborah Cooney is convinced electric meters made her sick and destroyed her music business.
Tuna for days
Every sport or occupation has a dream scenario: score the winning goal; close the impossible sale. For old-time tuna “bait boats,” it was the Big Catch, a mammoth haul with bamboo poles and lines. In ...
Christian Motos’s new release includes a song that didn’t make the Skyfall soundtrack.
Do bullets thrown into a campfire go off with the same velocity as when they are fired from a gun?
Heymatt: Supposedly, butchers are supposed to retire after a set amount of years (10, 15, 20?) because they’re otherwise highly prone to mental problems, i.e. they go crazy. I’ve snooped around a little but have ...
Paved and dirt trails encourage all visitors (including those in wheelchairs) to experience the desert
You could take a plane
If the recent plan to have a train stop at the Del Mar Fairgrounds falls through, resurrecting the adjacent former airport is certainly a nonstarter. Located on the San Dieguito River wetlands between the Del ...
Revisiting the imprisoned
The “West Memphis Three” (Jessie Misskelley, Damien Echols, and Jason Baldwin) were teenagers in 1993 when they were wrongfully convicted of the murders of three eight-year-old boys. Directed by investigative journalist Amy Berg (Deliver Us ...
What a treat! George Bernard Shaw’s back at the Old Globe — finally! — with first-class direction, performances, and design work. Even a balky turntable on opening night couldn’t tarnish the luster. For the past ...
Bob Filner and San Diego’s Democratic city-council majority have a lot of problems to solve — including global warming, in the opinion of one well-connected nonprofit. According to a recent lobbyist disclosure filing by the ...
Must be done outside of the dining area
On Sunday, December 2, Jamie Boyd and Joseph Taylor met at Felix’s Restaurant in Lincoln Park to eat dinner and to swap their children to Mom (Boyd) after a weekend with Dad. They sat at ...
Last week, new Democratic mayor Bob Filner gave his first State of the City Speech. Before he took the microphone at the Balboa Theatre, the mayor was preceded by Nathan Fletcher, former GOP assemblyman-turned-independent who ...
Securities and Exchange Commission charges the pair
A century ago, in the age of silent films, Mary Pickford was celebrated as “America’s Sweetheart.” Among the films she starred in were Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Pollyanna, and Little Lord Fauntleroy. In the tony ...
8000 pounds of food a week to about 500 families
Interview with Will James, pastor at Paradise Valley Seventh Day Adventist Church.
Uncovered My name is Sabrina and I am 19 years old. I'm featured on the cover of the Reader and interviewed for the article (“Cosplay in the Park: Adorable When I Dress Up,” January 10), ...