Jersey Mike's Coming to Hillcrest
Okay, it's a way-big chain, but I've met true fanatics of this sub place. It started in Point Pleasant, Jersey Shore, the kinda PB of New Joisey, an hour south of New York City. A real guy named Mike started "Mike's Subs" back in 1956, when subs were pretty new. It was a big summer vacation thing for New Yawkers.
He hired a 14-year-old high school kid named Peter Cancro as a gofer, in 1972. Three years later he wanted to retire, and the 17-year-old kid found backers to actually buy the business from Mike for him.
Fast-forward 37 years and Cancro has expanded the joint to, uh, 600 locations. And a name-change to "Jersey Mike's." They say the "secret" is the Angus beef top rounds they use and the bread they bake right there. Hmm. Have to see when they open.
Meanwhile the space Kazumi Sushi Bar used to occupy (110 Fifth Avenue, Hillcrest) is busy behind brown paper. No word on opening date yet.
More like this:
- A Closer Look at the Trailer for Magic Mike — April 25, 2012
- Contrary to G-Rated Expectations, I Predict Mr. Toad's Wild Ride Movie Will Earn Its PG-13 Rating — April 17, 2012
- Urban Eats? Urban Apps! — April 13, 2012
- A Tale of Two Posters: Bel Ami — April 6, 2012
- My New Favorite Wine Bar — April 6, 2012