Garrett Harris 10:27 p.m., May 22
Mother’s Day: Last chance flowers!
Corner stall in Golden Hill is open 24 hours
Call it Procrastinators’ Corner.
But here at 25th and Broadway, the Jiménez family is taking pity on us all.
Their flower stall (Jessica’s Flower Shop, 2480-A Broadway, Golden Hill, 619-847-7188) has a permanent crowd around it, mostly men, waiting to buy flowers for spouses and moms, grandmoms, Mothers-In-Law, even
“We get a big crowd for Mexican Mother’s Day,” says Jamila who's working the counter. “That’s on the Friday before the American Mother’s Day on Sunday.”
She’s wrapping yet another bouquet of half a dozen roses ($15). These are the most popular single item for Mother’s Day.
“This is named ‘Jessica’s’ after my sister. She has cerebral palsy. Our whole family helps out here.”
So when’s the absolute latest a desperate guy can haul up here for flowers?
“Don’t worry,” says Jamila. “We’re staying open 24 hours, from Saturday 5:00 a.m. till Sunday evening.”
More like this:
- Comic-Con Photo Phunnies Day 4 - Saturday — July 20, 2013
- Hold that lion: a pictorial history of the MGM logo — June 27, 2013
- A gallery of 33 vintage posters from Hollywood's Golden Age of cartoons — June 12, 2013
- Spot the Fake Titles Quiz IV: Dead by Dawn — May 24, 2013
- Go tell it on the mountain: a pictorial history of the Paramount logo — May 6, 2013