Matt Potter 1:30 p.m., Nov. 17
New U.S. Consulate named to Baja California
A new United States Consul General has been appointed to the Baja California peninsula. Andrew Erickson, who accepted the three year term in the month of September, is an experienced diplomat who has served across Latin America and most recently in Afghanistan.
U.S. consulate offices handle visa applications and processes for Mexican citizens, as well as numerous services for U.S. citizens in Baja. The main office is located in Mesa de Otay in Tijuana, with a sub-office also located in La Paz.
U.S. embassies and consulates across the world are currently at high alert after attacks on offices in Libya, Egypt, and Yemen. A film depicting the Islamic prophet Muhammad negatively has spurred anti-American attacks in the Middle-East and North Africa. Diplomatic offices worldwide are expected to undergo security reviews immediately.
Erickson, who has served as a diplomat since 1990, is a native of Oakland, California.
More like this:
- Mexico: Keep that s*** out of the Tijuana River — Aug. 15, 2017
- Baja & Border News Translations: Xolos visit General Hospital; USA Consulate in Tijuana closed for holiday; Collective marriage in Tijuana — Feb. 15, 2013
- Travel warnings — Nov. 21, 2012
- Fugitive wanted for murder arrested in Baja — Sept. 11, 2012
- American Interests — Jan. 19, 2006