Matthew Lickona 4 p.m., May 26
Paul Schrader 'likes' me!
Halfway through the screening of Luc Besson's dismal mob comedy The Family, an image from one of Robert DeNiro's early, funny films flashed through my brain.
Miami, 1962, and they've just tossed a bloated Jake LaMotta in the cooler where he proceeds to smash his skull against the wall of the jail cell while asking the musical question, "Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?"
I included the image of head-banger Jake in my zero-star review and, as all social media whores must, proceeded to post it on Facebook where it caught the eye of Paul Schrader, the man responsible for penning the string of interjections.
Look how Luc makes him look, Mr. Schrader. Like a bum! Like a mamaluke! The mamaluke of Hollywood! Look how far they've come from the river, Mr. Schrader. Now more than ever we need your skill as America's preeminent wordsmith of the profane to help put Marty and Bob back on the righteous path. Hopefully Shark Tank 2 hasn't been placed in turnaround and they'll take your call.
More like this:
- Origins: James Cameron's Piranha Part 2: The Spawning — Sept. 30, 2013
- Name That Logo: Deluxe Warner Bros. Edition — Sept. 19, 2013
- Studio collagist Jacques Kapralik created the fabric of Hollywood ballyhoo — Sept. 10, 2013
- Trailer Park: Paul Schrader's The Canyons — July 30, 2013
- The day Pee Wee Herman landed me in the hospital — May 22, 2013