Opening this week
Aw - who's more adorable?
I think it's fair to say that Seven Psychopaths is this week's big winner, no matter how many Oscars Argo winds up winning. Yeah, simultaneously exploiting and subverting the genre has been done before, but when it's done right, it's still fun as all get-out.
Which is not to say that Argo isn't good! Ben Affleck may or may not win a Best Director Oscar, but he'll certainly win Best Hair.
If Seven Psychopaths' intelligence and Argo's taste are too much for you, well, there's always The Paperboy, which Scott rather liked. Zac Efron preps for his future as a Hanes pitchman!
And if The Paperboy's intelligence and taste are too much for you, there's always 3,2,1...Frankie Go Boom. Scott's review is on its way, so I won't say too much, but...yeah.
But if, instead of transsexual Ron Perlman, it's an unvarnished tale of gay love and drugs you're after, you're probably better off with Keep the Lights On.
And looky here: Sinister, a horror film that delivers the jolty goods!
More like this:
- Oscar Autopsy: John Goodman > Daniel Day Lewis — Feb. 25, 2013
- Don't forget this Sunday's Live Oscar Blog! — Feb. 20, 2013
- New movies opening this week — Feb. 15, 2013
- This week's new releases — Jan. 25, 2013
- KPBS Film Critic Beth Accomando's Alexander "Feeling No" Payne Retrospective Concludes Tonight! — Nov. 14, 2011