Matt Louv 3 p.m., April 18
- Scott Starbuck's ecoblog, Trees, Fish, and Dreams, with audio poems, is at http://riverseek.blogspot.com.
Facebook posted only the words “Go outside.”
“Why?” is the obvious question. “Because I love birds,” he says.
Thoughts at the End of Empire
- It’s possible future generations will destroy
- our art, literature, music, film,
- and corporations, in bitterness
- for allowing ecosystem collapse,
- and mistrust for how many leaders
- were distracted, apathetic, selfish,
- ignorant, or insane with money and power.
- It’s possible future generations will redefine
- family, community, work, value, happiness,
- life, dirt, success.
- It’s possible education will change
- from locking children in boxes
- to getting them outside in tide pools,
- rivers, creeks, deserts, mountains
- and their community of remaining
- mammals, birds, fish, amphibians,
- invertebrates, reptiles, plants, trees.
- It’s also possible, based on our collective
- behavior, there won’t be future generations.
How We Stopped Corporate Psychopaths from Cooking Planet Earth
- We planted trees everywhere at once.
- Facebook posted only the words “Go outside.”
- “Destroy Your Television Day” grew more popular
- than Xmas and the 4th of July.
- Children of execs saw themselves as global citizens
- and despite every temptation and distraction
- disowned their wayward parents.
- ExxonMobil became BlueOrbSolar.
- Each country committed to saving
- one thing from extinction — them.
- People wondered why it took so long.
- When I complain to the old man
- about rising gas prices,
- he says “I want $10 a gallon.”
- “Why?” is the obvious question.
- “Because I love birds,” he says.
- At the time, I thought him insane
- but now I think most everyone else is.