Santa made his rounds and I see lots of folks were blessed with fishing rods and reels and lures and guided trips and such. Most of you were fishing around under the tree, giving and opening up gifts to and from loved ones and enjoying the warmth of family and friends. The early reports from yesterday that are coming in are indicating near-limits of blessings and love.
With that, I'll leave y'all with a fishing poem and a wish for a blessed and happy 2015!
- Charging ahead, the churning freight-liner
- was flashing purple neon like a nineteen-fifties diner
- through pectoral fins splayed wide and stable,
- taking flight with one swift thrust of its tail.
- The great fish bolted skyward, shaking itself free
- earning a brief education of man’s evil trickery —
- The long days and nights spent in precise preparation;
- The short, frantic battle that followed such long anticipation;
- The savings spent on food, fuel and a plethora of bait;
- The hiring of the boat, a sturdy captain and one sober mate —
- All of this lost in no more than just a few seconds,
- yet the thrill of fighting another big blue marlin beckons.