noon, May 28
51 narco-tunnels destroyed during last 6 years in Baja California and Sonora
Outgoing General oversaw discovery and destruction of drug pipelines
In the last six years, according to outgoing General Alfonso Duarte Múgica, 51 narco-tunnels were discovered and destroyed in the Mexican states of Baja California and Sonora. General Duarte Múgica, who left his military post on January 4th for a position at the Ministry of National Defense, spoke to the press on January 6th. The General spoke regarding the increase in safety and security of the state as he declared his departure for his newly appointed position.
The General, who was requested to stay by the Governor of the state, has been applauded for helping drop violent crime across the state. Duarte Múgica served as General of the 2nd Military Region for the last four years. The General oversaw military command which helped drop Baja California’s homicides from 1,050 in 2010, to 643 in 2012.
More like this:
- No homicides in month of February for Ensenada, first without since 2005 — March 3, 2013
- New narco-tunnel discovered in Mexicali — Jan. 5, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: General Duarte to End Command of 2nd Military Region — Jan. 3, 2013
- Homicide count continues downward for Baja California — Jan. 2, 2013
- Tijuana Narco-Tunnels Belonged to El Chapo — July 19, 2012