Matt Potter 3 p.m., Feb. 22
Homicide count continues downward for Baja California
Lowest number of homicides recorded in 5 years
Official numbers were released today, January 2nd, by the Procuraduría General de Justicia de la entidad (state attorney general’s office), which showed a large decrease in homicides for the Mexican state of Baja California. To date, 643 homicides were recorded in 2012, compared to 761 in the previous year.
The Attorney General of the state, Rommel Moreno Manjarrez, spoke in Mexicali while releasing the statistics. Moreno Manjarrez applauded all levels of law enforcement for working hard in increasing safety in the state.
Yearly homicide counts for Baja California
2012: 643 2011: 761 2010: 1,050 2009: 909 2008: 1,076
Homicides per municipality in Baja California for 2012
Tijuana: 362 Mexicali: 164 Ensenada: 63 Playas de Rosarito: 31 Tecate: 23
More like this:
- Less than 4% of Baja California homicides in 2012 resulted in convictions — July 18, 2013
- Baja California homicides up as result of drug violence — May 7, 2013
- Baja State prosecutor: 20% of female homicides are drug related — March 27, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: BC PGJE Make 1,662 Narcomenudeo Arrests; Drunk Driving Kills 65 in Mexicali in 2012 — Nov. 5, 2012
- New report confirms massive drop in Baja California homicides — Aug. 21, 2012