Walter Mencken 7 p.m., Dec. 10
The bill also includes Sadie & the Blue Eyed Devils.
After a six month musical odyssey in Brazil, clarinetist/saxophonist Stefanie Schmitz has returned with fresh material and inspiration. Come join her for an evening of choro, samba, jazz, and stories involving Carnaval, culture, and caipirinhas. Stefanie specializes in choro, a style of lively Brazilian jazz from the 1920s, which she plays with her local trio Choro Sotaque. The concert will feature jazz trumpeter Gilbert Castellanos along with Marcus Alcantarilla on guitar, Joe Amato on guitar, Halysson Silva on percussion, and other guests.
Monday 9Canada band Dinosaur Bones rattles into Soda Bar Monday night behind its latest, Shaky Dream. This is Dave Good’s Of Noted show this week, but I couldn’t not add this cut-n-pastable from Allmusic: “[Shaky ...
More from SDReader
- Real Hardcore True Punk — Oct. 17, 2002
- Blubbo's World — Sept. 20, 2001
- Record-Release Roundup — June 27, 2012
- Grinning in the Dark — Aug. 4, 2010
- Third Spud from the Sun: Cameron Crowe Then and Now — Nov. 2, 2000