9 p.m., June 28
Donors Nationwide Respond to Fletcher’s GOP Departure
Despite some local negative responses, and the loss of at least one endorsement, Fletcher's campaign reports that thousands of small donations of have poured in from donors nationwide, including notes of appreciation and support.
The increase of monetary support and attention is due largely to a column published yesterday by New York Times’ columnist David Brooks, who refers to Fletcher's decision to leave the GOP as a nationally important test case and asks, "Can the Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, who were trained to be ruthlessly pragmatic, find a home in either political party? Can center-right moderates find a home in the G.O.P., even in coastal California? As the two parties become more insular, is it possible to mount an independent alternative?"
More like this:
- The making of a San Diego county supervisor via CNN — Feb. 27, 2017
- “No show” Fletcher shares intimate DNC moment on TV — July 28, 2016
- Qualcomm CEO and Wife Give $10,000 to Beat GOP's Bilbray — July 16, 2012
- Nathan Fletcher Buys Flurry of Local TV Ads — April 14, 2012
- Republican Party Responds To Nathan Fletcher's Move To The Center — March 28, 2012