Various Authors 9:01 p.m., July 27
Log Cabin Republicans Dump Fletcher
Republican hits against Nathan Fletcher’s mayoral campaign continue in the wake of the candidate’s abandoning the GOP. San Diego Log Cabin Republicans, the party’s LGBT-friendly arm, has rescinded its support of Fletcher. Chapter president Victoria Kerley, though, seemed almost apologetic in her reasoning, first published by LGBT Weekly.
“Log Cabin Republicans is a Republican advocacy & volunteer organization first and foremost, and our bylaws clearly state that one must be a registered Republican to receive our endorsement,” Kerley says.
“So while we must rescind our chapter’s formal endorsement of Nathan’s campaign, we send with him our gratitude and thanks for his steadfast commitment to the conservative values of individual liberty, personal freedom and a limited government. His leadership calling for a repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ strengthened our national security. Nathan’s advocacy for tax reform in Sacramento continues to aid our families during these tough economic times.
“Nathan’s departure is a casualty of Prop 14’s ‘jungle primary’ system, which has weakened the Party overall. Our Republican ‘Big Tent’ just became one man smaller.”
Fletcher had earned the group’s endorsement despite being the lone heterosexual amongst the two other Republican candidates, Carl DeMaio and Bonnie Dumanis. So far the Log Cabin endorsement is the only one Fletcher has officially been stripped of since his change in party affiliation.
More like this:
- DeMaio out with official Log Cabin endorsement — July 15, 2013
- Nathan Fletcher returns to congressional battleground, endorses Peters against Bilbray — Sept. 18, 2012
- Mayoral Campaign of Newly Independent Nathan Fletcher Gives $5,000 To GOP, Filing Says — April 13, 2012
- Local LGBT Publication Alleges DeMaio Made Deal with the Devil — March 16, 2012
- Local LGBT Republican Group Doesn’t Endorse DeMaio or Dumanis for Mayor — Oct. 25, 2011