Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., March 10
Local LGBT Publication Alleges DeMaio Made Deal with the Devil
San Diego LGBT Weekly publisher Stampp Corbin is alleging that openly gay councilmember and mayoral candidate Carl DeMaio has turned his back on the LGBT community in his pursuit of power.
In an opinion piece released yesterday, Corbin accuses DeMaio of collecting a slew of endorsements from individuals and organizations that, Corbin says, stand strong against LGBT equality: the Republican Party Central Committee (RPCC) of San Diego County, former San Diego mayor Roger Hedgecock, and judge Larry Stirling.
“It is clear that DeMaio has made a pact with the devil in pursuit of power,’’ said Corbin. "DeMaio so desperately wants to be mayor that he has made deals with anti-LGBT organizations and people who support his candidacy for mayor, while also supporting groups whose main purpose is to fight against LGBT equality."
Corbin also alleges that DeMaio received the RPCC endorsement after his campaign posted Nathan Fletcher’s voting record and distributed a 14-page document decrying Fletcher’s stance on issues such as marriage equality.
More like this:
- DeMaio out with official Log Cabin endorsement — July 15, 2013
- Legitimacy of new pro-DeMaio LGBT political committee questioned — Oct. 12, 2012
- Weekend Local Politics Update — April 16, 2012
- Log Cabin Republicans Dump Fletcher — March 30, 2012
- DeMaio Critics Bash Recent Endorsements, Refusal to Debate — Oct. 25, 2011