Republican Party Responds To Nathan Fletcher's Move To The Center
Mayoral candidate, Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, must have known that his decision to leave the GOP and register as an independent wasn't going to go over too well with his former party.
And, judging by the statement from Chair of the San Diego County Republicans, Tony Kvaric, it didn't.
"Now, running dead last for San Diego Mayor, and after having raised as much Republican money as he can, Fletcher is trying to hide from his conservatism and partisan Republican record to reinvent himself as something else," stated Kvaric, an outspoken supporter of Republican mayoral candidate, Carl DeMaio.
"Nathan Fletcher running for office as an independent is about as credible as Rick Santorum trying to run as a Green Party candidate."
But the Republican Party wasn't the only political party to have harsh words for Fletcher. In a series of posts on Twitter, Jess Durfee, chair of the San Diego County Democrats, wrote:
"@nathanfletcher goes from loyal right-winger in his 1st term, to moderate once he decided to go 4 mayor. Now he's an indy. #anything4avote."
More like this:
- Longtime local GOP political operative to leave party — Jan. 3, 2013
- Nathan Fletcher Buys Flurry of Local TV Ads — April 14, 2012
- Mayoral Campaign of Newly Independent Nathan Fletcher Gives $5,000 To GOP, Filing Says — April 13, 2012
- Donors Nationwide Respond to Fletcher’s GOP Departure — March 30, 2012
- Nathan Fletcher Exits GOP Via YouTube — March 28, 2012