Dorian Hargrove 7:30 p.m., Feb. 21
Nathan Fletcher Exits GOP Via YouTube
Republican State Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher announced via a YouTube video uploaded late yesterday that he is leaving the GOP to become an independent.
According to an Associated Press dispatch running today in the San Francisco Chronicle, Fletcher, who has been running behind in the polls in the race to become San Diego mayor, also told the news service about the move yesterday.
"In all candor, I probably should have done it sooner...I've been a member of this party for almost 20 years.
"We have a system that is set up and designed for two parties and it's a difficult move, but it's what I believe in my heart is right."
More like this:
- Peters listed as member of mystery donor non-profit — July 18, 2013
- Late GOP money includes $5,000 from San Diego TV station owner — Nov. 7, 2012
- Connected Top Cop Union Lobbyist Signs on with Bob Filner — Aug. 2, 2012
- L.A. Cop Union PAC, Other Police Union PACs, Pouring Last Minute Money into Anti-DeMaio TV Spots — June 2, 2012
- Republican Party Responds To Nathan Fletcher's Move To The Center — March 28, 2012