• Jam Session alerts

I'm going to take a risk next week and attend a concert put on by some local singers.

Why is it a risk? I was invited via Facebook, so I started perusing the other folks invited. I knew a few of them and clicked on a few of them, but the usual suspects were missing.

The "usual suspects" would be people that I know are pretty good singers. If I were to guess, I'd say there are about 200 singers in San Diego who do just about all the "serious music."

While I don't know all of them, I know most of them, and for a concert like this I'd expect to see more than 2 or 3 of them invited on Facebook. I'd also expect to share mutual friends with a lot of the other people on the invite list. I don't.

I'm going to go with an open mind and an open heart and enjoy the show - one way or another.

I have a sneaky feeling that I'm being a dick about this.

If I were to be honest, I'd say that I know, here and now, that this is going to be a grotesque display of singing. However, here's a group of people who love singing enough to organize a little concert at a modest venue.

For obvious reasons, I'm not revealing the who, when, or where of this concert. This leads back to me being a dick. I guess you can send me a message via the Reader website and I'll give you the concert details.

Like I said, I know this is going to be bad singing - and probably bad acting too - but why does that matter? Why do I feel like it would be a waste of my time to go see some average people perform?

I think I'm just a snob when it comes to singing.

This is will be good for me.

I've already planned out my strategy for after the concert. If anyone asks me what I thought, I'll just give it back to them and hope. "I thought it was - well, what did you think?"

• Jam Session alerts

Comments

Joaquin_de_la_Mesa June 8, 2011 @ 10:09 a.m.

The first step to self improvement is admitting you have a problem. You've done that now. Good job, dick.

Garrett Harris June 9, 2011 @ 10:15 p.m.

Well said Joaquin. You must be a kindred dick.

SurfPuppy619 June 8, 2011 @ 12:09 p.m.

===================== You seem to be able to read the future-can you give me next weeks lotto numbers????????

The concert may or may not be a bomb, but you have no idea right now, not until you hear it with your own ears.

Garrett Harris June 9, 2011 @ 10:22 p.m.

So SurfPup, let's say I try my hand at surfing and "dick" around in the water down at 15th St. Once I get pretty good, I announce that I'm going to go surf Mavericks during a storm and I invite a bunch of people to come see it.

You might be able to predict some kind of a disaster.

That's what tends to happen when normal singers, who are pretty good, try to sing opera!

BTW. Saturday June 11th, 2011 California Super Lotto winning numbers. 10 13 20 29 39 05

I Am Stardirt June 9, 2011 @ 11:16 p.m.

It would be funny if those numbers came up. I am a big fan of dicks. I simply am not a fan of deviant dicks. You do not strike as a deviant dick. You sound like a dick I could like and a dick that gives me hope for human kind.Good job dick.

nan shartel June 10, 2011 @ 7:26 a.m.

don't be mean to my puppy...hahahahahahahahaha

nan shartel June 8, 2011 @ 4:41 p.m.

there's alway that word that subtly covers everything

INTERESTING....hahahahahahahahaha

good on u for foraging out of ur comfort zone tenor

i quite like ur snobby self importance balance with ur purist sinere opinion about a work

uh oh ...i guess i'm a fan....hahahahahahahahahaha

nan shartel June 10, 2011 @ 7:27 a.m.

er..um...dats spos 2 b sincere up dare in my last comment ;-(

Garrett Harris June 9, 2011 @ 10:25 p.m.

I'm happy to know at least one person is a fan of me being a dick! This could be a good topic for a post. Classical Dicks. Of course, Wagner tops the list. Beethoven is a close 2nd. Okay I'm gonna stop or I'll tip my hand.

nan shartel June 10, 2011 @ 7:24 a.m.

after seeing that 5x8 glossy u recently displayed i'm definitely a fan

deviant dicks???

...r those the ones that deviate to the left or right??? ;-S

I Am Stardirt June 10, 2011 @ 2:10 p.m.

Deviating across the boundries of good sense.

nan shartel June 13, 2011 @ 3:48 p.m.

i'm so intolerably bad sometimes DG i do need a keeper ;-D

Twister June 13, 2011 @ 4:12 p.m.

Seems like some posts have been mysteriously deleted without a notation in their place.

Is there some unusual censorship going on that is based on something other than "We prohibit profanity, libel, spam, racial epithets, and the harassment and abuse of others. Any off-topic comments stand a chance of being removed. In other words: talk about the site content, not each other," or is it due to a glitch in the system?

johnnybeach June 26, 2011 @ 10:29 a.m.

maybe we could hear you sing sometime , dickhead ?

nan shartel June 26, 2011 @ 1:26 p.m.

Garrett...Garrett...Garrett...sing Tenor...sing!!!!!

here on ur blog of course!!!

<3<3<3

dats's pos ta b hearts homey

here ya go fans...singin'...and u can see his darlin' face too...sorta...;=S

oh wait...u can already see his face

he doesn't look like a Dhead at all

BrianSmith Sept. 21, 2011 @ 4:34 a.m.