Daniel Powell 8:30 a.m., July 16
Experimental 170 Returns to the Kava Lounge
After a brief stint at Bar Dynamite in Mission Hills, the Something Different experimental 170 beat per minute night has moved back to the Kava Lounge for their monthly showcase.
“To tell you the truth, we are the only experimental night I’ve seen in this country doing this right now,” Will Guise told the Reader in June.
The genre, which draws inspiration from drum and bass, electro, techno, hip hop, and IDM, began getting attention about two years ago when London drum and bass producers dBridge and Instra:mental broadcast it via the Club Autonomic podcast.
Guise calls the style "outside the norm, particularly rhythmically. There’re no real rules. ASC is more ambient. I’m more dub reggae. So it depends on your influences and what you bring to the table.”
British experimental 170 b.p.m. pioneer ASC lives in Del Mar and is a resident at the event along with Guise and Calculon.
Joining them tomorrow night will be Sinistarr from Detroit and local Jason.
Thursday, August 25 Kava Lounge - 2812 Kettner Boulevard - Little Italy
More like this:
- Things for Doing: Kaminanda, gEars, Lucent Dossier — Jan. 19, 2012
- Groovetube: Critical Beatdown Ate My Baby — Nov. 4, 2011
- Things for Doing: Three Electronic Options — Sept. 22, 2011
- Dead//Tech vs. Live//Tech @ Kava Lounge — June 30, 2011
- House Mix: Tech House, Progressive House, and Robocop — May 10, 2011