Groovetube: Critical Beatdown Ate My Baby
Since January, local musicians Mike Gao, eLan, DJ Pound, DJ Cleancut, and Nino Seneris have been curating monthly Kava Lounge showcases with some of San Diego’s most exploratory experimental electronic beat music.
Last night’s installment included some of my favorite local beaters with tasty lysergic visuals to boot.
HM.T DM.T (that’s Humpty Dumpty, kids) is one of the sonic diddlers behind the Liquid Geometry monthly, also at Kava. On this occasion, the Dumpty took a great fall and dropped the nasty nostep on the way with a set of part original, part homage jams to scramble your humpty yolk.
Nino Seneris laid down the birthday smooth with a sensible pastiche of baby making beats and good old fashioned whomp.
On a more ethereal tip, Mystery Cave dispensed live beatscapes straight from a sunken city deep beneath a lake of mercury and sine waves. Watch for his pending Kill Quanti cassette split with Phen Swan.
For more yum, check out the new Future Sounds of San Diego compilation by Big Up Magazine and locals Dataset Clothing.
More like this:
- Things for Doing: Kaminanda, gEars, Lucent Dossier — Jan. 19, 2012
- Things for Doing: Three Electronic Options — Sept. 22, 2011
- Experimental 170 Returns to the Kava Lounge — Aug. 24, 2011
- My Dirty Drum Habits Presents: Skrapez, Walter Gross, FRKSE, Morgue @ the Kava Lounge — July 27, 2011
- Dead//Tech vs. Live//Tech @ Kava Lounge — June 30, 2011