Don Bauder 3 p.m., Nov. 23
Something Old: North Park's Old Mill Cafe
Just had the fillingest breakfast for $3.99 — at 8.30 at night. But that's Harry Kim. He's one of the two cooks you can see back there in the kitchen.
I thought he was just one of the kitchen crew. But no, he owns this venerable old-school Old Mill Family Restaurant (3949 Ohio St., North Park, 619-294-3804).
Old Mill mural inside
Has for four years now. Believes in hands-on, Korean-style. He says “Give the customers what they want. I know. Thirty years in food. I tell the girls, ‘Service counts. Because here, we’re not on the beaten path.’”
He's right about that. Ohio ain't 30th and University. But they do have this great old Fifties Moderne barn and tons of parking. Full tonight with a fab array of old Cadillacs and Chryslers that make you think you’re in a total time warp.
The inside’s packed with members of the Gay Antique Car Club. Rowdy bunch.
Basically it’s breakfast all day.
Mine is the special they have on the masthead neon sign outside.
So I expected a kind of skimpy bargain, but no:
Sophia brings a nice thick china plate loaded with plenty of eggs, good floppy pancakes and fresh-cooked bacon.
Plus, plenty of company. Here at the nine-stool counter, you can chat with the ghosts of generations past, chomping beside you.
More like this:
- The Crazy Credits, Crawls, and Cautionary Warnings Quiz — Sept. 30, 2011
- Picture Story: Anne Hathaway Has a Bad Day on the Set of Dark Knight Rises — Sept. 26, 2011
- The Movie Studio Logo Quiz: The Adventure Continues — Sept. 19, 2011
- Meet the New Hollywood, Same as the Old Hollywood — Sept. 2, 2011
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011