Copper Chimney Comes Ashore
If you’ve been wandering around Black Mountain Road forlornly looking for Allen Sem and his South Indian “Copper Chimney” food truck, you’re out of luck.
Just as food trucks have come on stream big time, he has pulled out and gone brick and mortar. For the past 3-4 months he’s been in a shop at 9474 Black Mountain Road, Suites D and E (619-997-6946). It’s now called Spice Court and Copper Chimney.
But, thank goodness, the food that drew half of Qualcomm is exactly the same. Like, the Masala Dosa (“mixed crêpe,” the kind of foot-long, flute-shaped, pancake affair stuffed with rice and lentils, and spices like cloves and cardamom) is still on the menu, for $4.99.
The masala dosa: south Indian crepe
Miss the truck, though, parked by the grass at night. With everybody standing around, chatting with each other, stranger or not, it had that "street" magic.
More like this:
- Black Mountain (Road)Side: Surati Farsan Mart — Nov. 30, 2011
- Dosas to Die For: Southern Comfort, Indian-Style — Sept. 26, 2011
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011
- U.S. Sandcastle Open Band Lineup July 23 - 24 — July 16, 2011
- Want Some Free Overheard in San Diego Artwork? — July 6, 2011