noon, May 28
- Community Blog
- Abnormal Heights
Following the Money in District 3
San Diego’s politicians in the last decade have been disappointing, to say the least. They promise to represent our neighborhoods, but soon after arriving downtown get sucked into the “go along to get along” culture.
The reason for this is understandable. Insiders downtown contribute the lion’s share of the money the politicians need for reelection. So it’s important to track where the money comes from for these expensive races. It reveals a lot about the candidates, and is a rough predictor of how they will behave once in public office.
The Center for Policy Initiatives has provided a handy online tool to track contributions. You can check for yourself who is giving what to whom.
Council Candidate Todd Gloria is proud of the amount of money he’s raised so far from special interests. Who is behind his campaign, and what will they expect in return?
Lawyers and Lobbyists:
Well-connected Republican lobbyists love Gloria. They’ve given over $12,000 so far to elect him to represent them on the City Council. A “who’s who” of insiders leads the list:
• Craig Benedetto: Spokesman for failed Bajagua project, and Legislative Advocate San Diego Building Owners and Managers Association
• Mitch Berner: Republican Lobyist, East Village Association, Former Chief of Staff to Barbara Warden
• John Dadian: Republican Consultant and Lobbyist
• John Kern: Republican Consultant, Lobbyist, Former Chief of Staff to Dick Murphy
• Scott Maloni: Republican Lobbyist, VP of Poseidon
Downtown politicians and their staff are hopeful Gloria will join them in running San Diego their way. Look who’s backing Gloria with cash:
• Elizabeth Brennan Kinsley: Chief of Staff, Scott Peters
• Aimee Faucett: Chief of Staff, Jim Madaffer
• Nancy Graham: Disgraced Former CEO of CCDC
• Sherm Harmer: VP of Building Industry Association
It’s no surprise that developers want Gloria to continue supporting their big box projects with taxpayer money. It’s not only developers, but also members of the disgraced CCDC Board who “pay to play”:
• Perry Dealy: Manchester Financial Group (backers of Proposition 8)
• Kim Kilkenny: Otay Ranch Co. (Board Member, CCDC)
• Fred Maas: Black Mountain Ranch, (Chairman of CCDC)
• Jennifer LeSar: Board Member, CCDC (Toni Atkins’ new wife)
Reading the list above shows where Gloria's going if he gets a seat on the Council. He's got a lot of favors to repay.
As this race continues, watch for big money last minute contributions from special interests trying to by your vote.
More like this:
- Council President Todd Gloria's campaign committee sitting on $54,000 in donations — Jan. 30, 2013
- The Golden Boy of SD Developers Todd Gloria Announces Re-Election Bid — June 20, 2011
- Puppeteers: Eight powerful San Diegans who don't want to tell you what they do — Sept. 2, 2009
- Why do People Under Federal Investigation Love Todd Gloria? — Oct. 21, 2008
- Gloria Signs Coming Down — Sept. 15, 2008