Jay Allen Sanford 8 p.m., Sept. 20
We’re Not Playin' Anymore at The Spot Barrio Logan
Custom toy show, complete with food & craft beer, invades Barrio Logan art space Saturday
The guidelines are simple: “If you can pick it up and play with it, your toy design is in!”
"The decision to do this show came from my love of art and [my love of] toys as a kid," Villa writes via email, "so it was a no-brainer to combine the two."
More than 50 local and international artists have submitted their 3-D toy figures, running the gamut of materials from the more traditional vinyl, metal, wood, and fabric to resin and glass.
Spinning the hip-hop tunes for Saturday's opening will be Dj Pokkey, and Baja Dogs will be there slinging bacon-wrapped hot dog concoctions.
Celebrated home brewer Isaac Caballero has also brewed a new craft beer for the event.
Caballero's Puppet Master Porter will sport a limited edition custom bottle label designed by Jorge Gutierrez, who also constructed a toy creation for the show.
All the fun happens from 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. at The Spot Barrio Logan.
More like this:
- Enigmatic Party: sights and sounds of Baja in the Barrio — Sept. 21, 2013
- Grace Ann Piano tells story of indigenous cultures through paint — March 15, 2013
- Trailer Park: the mundane horrors of Dark Skies — Feb. 22, 2013
- Trailer Park: Escape from Planet Earth — Feb. 15, 2013
- Barrio Logan: Roots Factory 3-year anniversary at The Casbah — Jan. 7, 2013