Ken Leighton 2 p.m., Nov. 21
Body found at Imperial Beach identified as 13-year-old from Tijuana, another teen still not found
Teens were swept out to sea while swimming at Playas de Tijuana
The San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed on Friday, July 26, that the body found washed ashore at Imperial Beach was Efraín Alcaraz Bautista, a 13 year old male from Tijuana. Authorities in Tijuana later confirmed that a 16 year old male, Alejandro Reyes Collazo, was still missing from the same incident.
According to family members, a group of five boys were swimming at Playas de Tijuana, on July 16, when they were swept out to sea. Only three boys returned to shore safely.
The 13 year old victim was found on Thursday, July 25, by U.S. Department of Agriculture wildlife officers along the shoreline of Monument State Park Beach, about a quarter-mile south of the mouth of the Tijuana River. The medical examiner confirmed that the victim died from accidental drowning.
More like this:
- Toy gun, pier jumper in boxers, and entangled whale on lifeguard to-do list — Sept. 21, 2017
- Arterial bleeding from stingray, boating under the influence — Sept. 14, 2017
- Black's Beach knife-wielder found on trail — Aug. 25, 2017
- Sailboat runs over kayaker — July 12, 2016
- Second drowning victim found at Playas de Tijuana — Aug. 2, 2013