• News Ticker alerts

An Imperial Beach family is thankful today to be alive after a carbon monoxide leak sent them to the hospital. It happened Monday morning January 14, in the 900 block of Cypress Avenue with the Clement family complaining of flu-like symptoms. A crew from Imperial Beach Fire and Rescue responded and soon determined the problem to be carbon monoxide poisoning. Captain John French of the IBFD explained to the media “C.O. is colorless, odorless and can’t be detected unless you have a C.O. detector in your house and now is the time to make sure it is currently working. Readings were way above what we normally see. We were getting numbers in the four hundreds when usually you want in the zeros.” The Clement family according to relatives was treated Saturday at a local hospital for flu-like symptoms but on Monday the family that includes two adult children woke with headaches and were vomiting so they called 9-1-1. A San Diego Gas and Electric crew was called to the home to investigate.

  • News Ticker alerts


SurfPuppy619 Jan. 15, 2013 @ 9:59 p.m.

I remember about 20 years ago an athletic team down here, may have been the rowing classic on Mission Bat, were staying at a Mission Valley hotel and a carbon monoxide leak killed 4 people in one of the rooms.....


Visduh Jan. 15, 2013 @ 10:32 p.m.

It isn't a frequent occurrence, but when you have CO poisoning, it is really bad. These folks are lucky; the usual thing is that they go to sleep and just never wake up. And if you have had a serious bout with CO, it takes some drastic hyperbaric oxygen treatment to deal with it, and still may have lifelong health consequences. Really bad stuff. Our "nanny state" has decreed that all residences are to have a CO detector, which now means that most of us are scofflaws. But we did take to smoke detectors, and they do save lives (IF used properly and have live batteries in them), so these CO units will come into widespread use.


tomjohnston Jan. 16, 2013 @ 9:02 a.m.

If you're thinking about the same incident that I am, it was early 90'S, maybe'90-'91 at a hotel in Mission Valley that had problems with the heaters in a bunch of room, something like half of them. But if I remember correctly, it was only 1 person killed and it wasn't a rowing team, but a either a gymnastics or volleyball team. At this point, I can't remember which hotel, but I remember at the time that it was someplace we knew friends had stayed at when visiting SD.


SurfPuppy619 Jan. 16, 2013 @ 9:19 a.m.

I cannot recall the details, except it was a MV hotel, CO poisoning and eath/s.......no excuse for that to happen at any hotel.


Visduh Jan. 16, 2013 @ 10:13 a.m.

Sad, but much of this lodging we have for tourists in San Diego is far from high quality, is not well maintained or particularly clean. But you can be sure it costs plenty.


tomjohnston Jan. 16, 2013 @ 10:23 a.m.

No excuse and no reason for that to happen anywhere, not just at a hotel.


SurfPuppy619 Jan. 16, 2013 @ 11:27 a.m.

Oh, I agree 100%, but it is especially egregious for a hotel as that is their business.


Sign in to comment

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!