Chad Deal noon, June 24
Man admits assault with shotgun
A 20-year-old Encinitas man pleaded guilty to two felony assault charges today, in connection with the alleged robberies of two men, just past midnight after July Fourth.
Sheriff’s deputies responded to a 911 call from the alleged victims who said an Hispanic man brandished a long gun at them as they were getting out of their vehicle, and the robber “demanded their belongings.” The men told deputies that they complied and then were allowed to walk away, in the early morning minutes of July 5.
Deputies made a “sweep of the area” and found Hernan Cruz in the back yard of a home on Clark Avenue, along with a ski mask and a loaded shotgun, according to Sergeant Darrell Strohl.
A home address for Hernan Cruz in the 800 block of Clark Avenue was listed in court paperwork for a different case, filed last year.
In the plea deal today, Hernan Cruz admitted personal use of a firearm during assault, and he now has one “strike.”
Judge Harry Elias said the defendant could get up to 9 years in prison at his sentencing, which is set for November 13 in San Diego’s North County Superior Courthouse.
More like this:
- “They were putting in work for their gang” prosecutor said — Sept. 20, 2013
- Men sentenced for July 4 home invasion in Oceanside — Sept. 29, 2012
- Plea Deals in O'side Home Invasion Robbery — Aug. 21, 2012
- Encinitas Man Accused of July 4th Holdup -- of Neighbors — July 6, 2012
- Brawl at School Carnival Turned Into Stabbing — June 19, 2012