Matt Potter 9:51 a.m., June 27
Marine Sgt. Gary Stein's Discharge Hearing Set For Saturday
On Saturday morning, Gary Stein, the Marine Sergeant who ran the anti-Obama Facebook page, "Armed Forces Tea Party," will know if he has a future in the Marines.
On that day, an "administrative separation board" will hear his case and decide whether to discharge him for violating the the "Uniform Code of Military Justice," which prohibits servicemen and women of participating in political clubs or organizations, especially those openly critical of the President.
On the Facebook page, which he started in 2010, Stein bashed the Obama Administration over the Affordable Care Act and for running up the national debt. After the profile went public, Stein's superiors warned him about the site. He then took it down, only to put it back up again.
Now, in addition to lambasting Obama over health care and out-of-control spending, the Facebook page has turned to fundraising.
"Thank you to the great people that gave to Gary Stein's defense fund," read a post on Sunday. "We nearly raised $300 in one day from $5 donations! [Armed Forces Tea Party] members are awesome."
According to the Navy Times, fter Saturday's hearing, board members will present their recommendation to Brigadier General Daniel Yoo, who will then make the final decision.
More like this:
- The Movie Studio Logo Quiz V: What is hidden in the snow, comes forth in the thaw — Dec. 27, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game IV: Catch it! — Dec. 27, 2012
- Be the first in your town to see Paranormal Activity 4 — Sept. 27, 2012
- Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival — July 27, 2012
- Lt. Dan Band To Play Benefit For Camp Pendleton Marine — Jan. 11, 2012