Ian Anderson 4 p.m., Nov. 19
Democrats Release Endorsements
The final day of the California Democratic Party Convention yielded a slate of endorsements and official party positions on confirmed ballot measures.
Local endorsements for the state Assembly include RJ Hernandez in the 77th district covering north inland San Diego and Toni Atkins, currently a 76th district incumbent now running in the 78th due to map revisions. Ben Hueso, a 79th district incumbent who now finds himself in the 80th, also gets a party nod.
The only state Senate endorsement locally goes to Marty Block, currently serving in the 78th Assembly district and seeking election in the 39th Senate district, including central coastal San Diego.
For federal races, real estate agent and anti-war activist Jerry Tetalman will challenge Republican Darrell Issa in the coastal North County 49th district with Democratic backing. Juan Vargas receives party backing in his challenge for the 51st district seat being vacated by mayoral candidate Bob Filner. Incumbent Susan Davis has an endorsement for her re-election bid in the 53rd district covering central San Diego, La Mesa, and Lemon Grove. A hotly contested race in the 52nd district results in no official party backing, despite the district being identified as one of 18 "Red to Blue" districts they hope to take from Republicans in order to regain a House majority. The lack of an official candidate means the district will not receive direct party assistance or funding.
The Convention also moved to support Proposition 28, which would reduce term limits in the state legislature from 14 years to 12, and Proposition 29, which would impose a $1.00/pack cigarette tax hike to fund cancer research and "other specified purposes."
More like this:
- With Democrats backing Gonzalez, Castaneda turns to unrepresented Republicans in 80th Assembly race — April 16, 2013
- Democrats Castaneda, Gonzalez certified as ballot candidates for 80th district state assembly special election — April 3, 2013
- Non-Partisan Political Action Committee with a Partisan History to Host Dumanis Fundraiser — April 30, 2012
- Non-Partisan Group Offers Host of Democratic Endorsements — March 9, 2012
- Stahl Calls Foul on Republican Endorsement of Bilbray — Feb. 13, 2012