Ken Harrison 10:20 a.m., June 23
Inmates killed, injured on freeway cleanup duty
Two inmates of Calipatria State Prison in Imperial Valley were injured, one of them fatally, while working as part of a CalTrans inmate work crew on the eastbound side of Interstate 8 yesterday in the late morning.
Inmate Richard Warrick, 45, was transported to El Centro Regional Medical Center for treatment of moderate injuries and returned to prison. He is serving a three year sentence for burglary, possession of a controlled substance, and receiving stolen property.
The second individual, who has not been identified pending notification of his family, was pronounced dead at the scene at approximately 11:50 a.m.
Calipatria State Prison officials also stated in the news release regarding the death and injury that the institution "provides educational, vocational, re-entry and self-help programs that provide inmates life skills and work skills that can be used in support of their efforts at reintegration into society."
More like this:
- Drug counselor indicted for smuggling drugs — May 10, 2016
- Overnight jail fight at Chula Vista facility, Sheriff says — Feb. 28, 2013
- Prison riot — Dec. 12, 2012
- State Prisons Appear to Fall Short on Overcrowding Reduction Order — Dec. 27, 2011
- 3900 Ways to Make Crime Pay — March 17, 1994