Peter and the Wolf
I was trying to think of a good way to introduce some newbies to the instruments of the orchestra and there was Peter and the Wolf.
The different characters of the story are introduced by the narrator along with the instruments that represent them.
Prokofiev wrote Peter and the Wolf, on comission, in 1936. He was intrigued by the idea of introducing children to music and finished the piece in four days.
I grew up with the version that Walt Disney made in 1946.
There are some differences in the story from the one Prokofiev used but the purpose of the piece is served by introducing several orchestra instruments and the idea of characters having music themes we associate with them.
If you've never seen the animated movie, check it out. If, like me, you haven't seen it since you were 8 or 9, take a break and enjoy some nostalgia.
More like this:
- Passengers perform Parameters at Space 4 Art — May 29, 2013
- Mainly Mozart Welcomes Oscar-Winning Peter & the Wolf — June 8, 2012
- Go-To Playlist — March 21, 2012
- Sheath Thy Sword — Aug. 31, 2011
- One Hit Operas — April 25, 2011