Ian Anderson 5:30 p.m., Sept. 18
No "Mike's La Jolla," just Panaderia
After spending about a zillion dollars to remake Jack's La Jolla into "Mike's La Jolla," Gaslamp nightclub entrepeneur Mike Viscuso (of Deco's and several others) has thrown up his hands and walked away. He'd planned to turn the former Jack's site into a glitzy nightclub-restaurant multiplex. Ain't happening. With the economic downturn, Viscuso sniffed the wind and realized that La Jollans are still in no mood to go clubbing, and now he's outta there. (While anything but a poor area, it's not a real young area, either. Those fabled blue haired ladies and all...Can you see them boogieing to Lady Gaga tracks the DJs play?).
Instead, there'll be a large branch of Panaderia on the first floor, serving bakery goods and sandwiches and such. Several local restaurateurs are apparently interested in dividing the upper floors into small restaurants. Don't hold your breath -- much money must change hands first. Local retailers have their fingers crossed hoping that restaurants will bring people to the area.
Photo: Mike Viscuso Photo by Chris Weeks/WireImage
More like this:
- Brunch at CUSP in the Hotel La Jolla — Sept. 11, 2012
- A World of Malarkey Coming Atcha! — Sept. 7, 2011
- RIP: Clay's — June 9, 2011
- Dead Restaurant Pool, three more drowned — March 9, 2010
- Local Music Lawsuits: Plus Celebs Busted in SDiego, Hard Rock Hotel Haters, & more — March 28, 2008