noon, May 28
Cheapest New Year’s Eats?
Scratching my head on this one.
But I keep going back to O’Hungry’s (see this week’s Tin Fork) in Old Town (2547 San Diego Avenue, 619-298-0133).
This cowboy eatery jes’ beyond the main entrance to Old Town Plaza has (drum roll please!) $5 dinners on New Years Eve.
O'Hungry's: on this spot 33 years
Outside looking in
That’s five buckeroos for choices like baked chicken, ham steak, country fried steak, mahi mahi, spaghetti, BBQ ribs. Plus sides like carrots, broccoli, mash, bun and butter. All for a Lincoln. And a beer for a buck. Serious!
The deal: it applies New Years Eve, too
Cheery Andrea brings da plate
This is what $5 buys, plus...$1 for the beer. Beat that, Old Town
Where else? Of course, Stan Chu the owner does this deal every night, but kudos to him that he doesn’t jack everything up pricewise on New Years, when he knows people are gonna be desperate to have some sort of a good time, but tapped out by Christmas and all the other holiday celebrations.
The downside. They’ll be closing early: 8.30 p.m. So guess we’ll have to eat, drink, and then go hunting. Find another spot to hang out at till we head for the plaza at midnight to sing Auld Lang Zyne around the flagpole.
Man, how to fill that time? Hey, maybe visit with Violet Whaley’s ghost in the garden of the Whaley House across the road for a couple of hours?
More like this:
- Zappa's Grandmothers of Invention Playing Anthology Friday, Aug. 17 — Aug. 15, 2012
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Marshmallows on the Bonfire Tonight! — Dec. 30, 2011
- Merry Christmas from Your Pals at The Big Screen — Dec. 25, 2011
- Frank Zappa Would Have Been 71 Today - Viva La Bizarre! — Dec. 21, 2011