Ian Anderson 3:26 p.m., Aug. 14
A gallery of 33 vintage posters from Hollywood's Golden Age of cartoons
Feature length theatrical releases were not the only films to get the royal ballyhoo treatment back in the day. Posters heralding the arrival of a new one-reel animated wonder -- frequently as colorful as the shorts they hyped -- were splashed across the front of theatres. In some cases the shorts even had added marquee value.
There's a file on my desktop marked "Cartoon Posters" that contains hundreds of scans. Today seems as good a day as any to crack open the repository and share the wealth. Forgive me for not dating all of the pics, but when I started 'collecting' these images it was never with the intent of sharing them.
More like this:
- Anatomy of an ad campaign: North by Northwest — July 23, 2013
- Comic-Con Photo Phunnies Day 5 - Sunday — July 21, 2013
- Hold that lion: a pictorial history of the MGM logo — June 27, 2013
- Spot the Fake Titles Quiz IV: Dead by Dawn — May 24, 2013
- See the book, read the movie — April 4, 2013