Dave Good 7 p.m., May 24
Overheard at the La Jolla Screening for The Queen of Versailles
Some people had to have been chuckling to themselves when they decided to screen a film about diminished fortunes in the moneyed regions of La Jolla. Anyway, here are a few things I heard on my way out the door:
"What did you think of the movie?" "It stunk! It made me an unhappy investor!" Delightful because: The rich man in the film spends a lot of time complaining about banks and his own disastrous investments.
"Do you live within your means?" "Aaaah..." Delightful because: Well, not living within one's means is kind of one of the big problems for the rich folks in the film.
"I'll have to tell my friend about this. The one who's building a house." Delightful because: The central image of the film is an unfinished dream house. (See above.)
Good times! And contrary to that unhappy investor, I thought it was a good movie.
More like this:
- The Shining is The Evil Dead — April 3, 2013
- Overheard at the La Jolla screening for Flight — Nov. 2, 2012
- Huge movie poster sale at Landmark La Jolla Village Cinemas in a month or so! — Aug. 31, 2012
- Magic Mike: Ladies, please! — June 27, 2012
- Review: The Pirates! Band of Misfits — April 27, 2012