Image Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego Press Release # 06/2012 March 12th, 2012

REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER MEXICO FOR RECREATIONAL SPORTSFISHING ACTIVITIES In order to respond to recent requests for information regarding the procedures to be followed, and the permits to be obtained by foreign tourists entering Mexican waters for sport fishing activities, the Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego communicates the following:

  • There is no visa or new immigration requirement for sport fishing purposes. U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the United States, and foreigners who carry any type of valid U.S. visa do not require a Mexican visa to enter the country as tourists for a period of up to 180 days.

  • According to current regulations, US citizens that wish to enter Mexico for any purpose, including sport fishing, must: (i) present themselves before migration authorities in a port open for international transit of persons. Ensenada is presently the nearest Mexican seaport to San Diego that offers this service; (ii) fill out the Multiple Migratory Form (FMM); (iii) present a valid Passport or any other valid form of government issued id; and make the tourist immigration rights payment of $294 (Two hundred and ninety four Mexican pesos).

  • Mexican law considers the possible participation of consignee agencies. Their function is to support all administrative procedures, such as gathering information, filling out forms and payment of fees. The hiring of the aforementioned services for recreational or sport fishing vessels for private use is not mandatory. Fees charged by consignee agencies are not part of the government rates applicable to the issuance of various permits.

  • It is also required for every person that intends to enter Mexico for sport fishing activities to obtain the individual sport fishing permit, issued by the National Commission of Aquaculture and Fisheries (CONAPESCA). This permit may be processed at: Fees as of January 2012 are:

 1 day $110 Mexican pesos  1 week $ 276 Mexican pesos  1 year $ 553 Mexican pesos  Excursion $ 787 Mexican pesos

Commercial recreational or sport vessels, Mexican or foreign-registered, that will make use of any Mexican port must obtain a permit for the provision of tourism services. This is issued by the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation (SCT) and must be requested in advance to the corresponding Port Captain’s Office. This requirement is not applicable to private vessels that engage in sport fishing in Mexican waters.

The Secretariat of the Navy (SEMAR) is empowered to carry out inspections in local and foreign vessels navigating Mexican territorial waters in order to ensure compliance of applicable regulations. The promotion of tourism to our country is one of the high priorities of the Mexican government. Information will be provided in a timely manner about new measures to be taken to facilitate the entrance of foreign tourist to our territory, including those tourists that wish to do sport fishing in Mexican territorial waters.

Editor’s Note: If you have any further questions regarding this information, please contact: Alberto Díaz, via Tel. 619 308-9924, Cel. 619-649-5364 or Email: [email protected]



Sign in to comment

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!