Food Time: Chef Brian Malarkey Announces New Venture
Keeping with Fabric Theme, Santee Restaurant Will Be Dubbed 'Spandex,' Menu Set to Feature Deep Fried Everything
"Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag was taken."
SITE OF A FORMER KRISPY KREME, SANTEE - Local celebrity chef Brian Malarkey is a busy man. The Top Chef contestant already has a hot Gaslamp restaurant on his hands with Searsucker, a cool fusion joint in Del Mar's Burlap, and is close to completion on Herringbone (La Jolla) and Gingham (La Mesa). Plus, he says, there are plans in the works to open 74 new restaurants nationwide, covering everything from Fishnet to Velour. But first, he's got one more project close to home - and close to his heart.
"I wanted to do something unexpected, something driven less by gimmicky marketing or a bizarre devotion to this or that foodstuff, and more by a genuine affection for the dining public. When I heard about the deep-fried Kool Aid at the Del Mar Fairgrounds this year, I found my inspiration."
Malarkey says that Spandex is set to open "sometime before the Fourth of July. America, baby!"
More like this:
- Prepkitchen Del Mar preps for re-open — Aug. 24, 2012
- First of Three New Brian Malarkey Restos Opening January 9 — Jan. 4, 2012
- Flavor’s Adding New Flavor — Oct. 19, 2011
- A World of Malarkey Coming Atcha! — Sept. 7, 2011
- Sneak Peek: Asian Cowboy Desserts Planned for Del Mar's Burlap — July 8, 2011