My daughter's Afro, tongue piercing, obsession with stomach looks
San Diegans on their appearances
Carlos Sanguinetti: "Honestly, eating and diet is almost 80 percent of your physique."
- I’m overjoyed that my daughter loves her hair. I’m also afraid there will come a day when she tells me she wishes it were long, straight, and yellow.
- By Elizabeth Salaam, July 11, 2012
Customers at Milton’s barbershop joke, rib each other,
and sometimes talk seriously.
- “Dr. Jefe is quick to point out that you can always change your mind about a tongue piercing. Once the jewelry is removed, the hole closes up in 48 hours.”
- By Dorothy Kronick, Aug. 22, 2002
Winnie Kao (aka "Buffy"): “I went to this place in Lemon Grove that pierced all my friends’ belly buttons and one of my friend’s eyebrows, this place where they don’t check I.D.s.”
- “All of my clients are obsessed about their stomachs. I have very few clients who come in here without saying they want to get a six-pack or they want flat abs. And most of my clients are women. I have about 3 men and 25 women.”
- By Robert Kumpel, Oct. 11, 2001
Malaika Tobias: "I guess I think about my stomach a lot — it’s kind of a paranoia thing."
- I have this shirt because my husband says that I'm the slowest mountain biker in the world. [The shirt] says, "Behold the Turtle."
- By Cruz Medina, June 30, 2005
- Because henna doesn’t dissolve easily in water, some hennaria mix it with gasoline, which yields a darker stain.
- By Laura McNeal, May 15, 2003
Decorated feet wrapped in toilet paper. “The beginning of diplomatic relations with the U.S.A. in 1883 destroyed the traditions of henna in Iran.”
Photo by Sandy Huffaker, Jr.
- She sat me on her bed and held my hands. “Joan, you already have two strikes against you. You’re black, and you’re female. You don’t need to be fat, too.”
- By Joan Jackson, Dec. 5, 2012
My mom: “Joan, you already have two strikes against you. You’re black, and you’re female. You don’t need to be fat, too.”