Bill Manson 10:30 a.m., Sept. 18
- Keep right, passing by clumps of jimson weed.
Roberts Ranch, Duncan McFetridge, drought, movie shooting, Border Fire, Blue Ribbon Loop
- Thanks to the crusading efforts of Descanso cabinet-maker Duncan McFetridge, affectionately known by some as the "Robin Hood of Cleveland Forest," two inholdings (islands of private property inside public-domain lands) near Descanso are being added to the Cleveland National Forest. The former Roberts and Ellis Ranches, adjacent to Interstate 8 at Highway 79/Japatul Valley Road, were slated for subdivided housing....
- By Jerry Schad, April 23, 1998
- It's only 35 or 40 minutes from downtown San Diego to the junction of Interstate 8 and State Route 79. And just a couple of minutes north of there lies the rural town of Descanso. In many urban centers, particularly in California, that's not a bad commute time. And from the East County cities of El Cajon, Santee, and La Mesa, the drive to Descanso is even shorter.
- By Ernie Grimm, April 3, 2003
- Several years ago, when I last came here to the Cleveland National Forest outside of Descanso, Duncan McFetridge's cabin nestled in a deep-shaded dell. Now we're looking at the skeletons rising 60, 80 feet in the air. McFetridge's oaks. Nearly all dead.
- By Bill Manson, Oct. 18, 2007
- In a role not that far removed from its actual history, Descanso recently stood in for a Western frontier town. Chula Vista–based Southwest Pistolero Productions used the area to film scenes for a movie titled Get Out of Dodge. In a meadow south of Interstate 8, cowboys on horseback were chased by Indians in warpaint.
- By Rick Larkin, July 2, 2010
- Behind the lines at the Border Fire, neighbors, volunteers, county animal-control crews, and Border Patrol agents are caring for the animals left behind during the fire's sudden spread.
- By Marty Graham, June 23, 2016
- If you are looking for a loop hike in the Cuyamacas with a mix of sun and shade, old road and narrow trail, a variety of wildflowers, and a shady creekside spot to rest, then this trip might fit the bill.
- By The Canyoneers, Aug. 9, 2017