On December 5, 2016, the San Diego County District Attorney filed a criminal complaint against personal injury attorney David Thaddeus Achord for, among several things, threatening his wife with a knife and resisting an officer of the law. On March 21 of last year, he pleaded guilty to inflicting corporal injury on a spouse, and obstructing a public peace officer. The State Bar of California suspended him from practice of law from July to December last year.

On May 3 of this year, the bar, after studying the matter, said Achord would be suspended for 90 days and placed on probation for a year. According to the bar, on September 6, 2016, Achord jabbed a knife at his wife and told her, “I’m going to slit your throat!” She said the knife came within six inches of her face. Sheriff’s deputies arrived and Achord threatened violence to a sheriff’s deputy who had arrived.

On November 26, 2016, beginning at 7:30 a.m., Achord “threw [his spouse] to the ground and dragged her to the couch where he hit her in the stomach an estimated 30 times,” according to the bar report. Throughout the incident and the previous eveninng, Achord had threatened to kill his wife, said the bar.

Achord “had a serious alcohol and valium dependency,” said the bar, but “participated in various community activities.” Achord lacked remorse, said the bar.

Comments

dwbat May 21, 2018 @ 11:54 a.m.

Wouldn't 900 days suspension be more appropriate, and 10 years probation by the Bar? Actually, why isn't he in prison?

Don Bauder May 21, 2018 @ 12:06 p.m.

dwbat: I thought the bar's punishment was quite light. Actually, that's one reason I wrote the item. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh May 21, 2018 @ 1:26 p.m.

Scandalously light, I say. In fact, the suspension should be indefinite. When/if he got his act together, he could reapply.

Don Bauder May 21, 2018 @ 2:51 p.m.

Visduh: It looks to me that in addition to a problem with alcohol and valium, this guy has a problem with his temper and emotional stability. Such problems are not cured quickly, even in the absence of booze and valium. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK May 22, 2018 @ 6:44 a.m.

I wonder if he has any other skills other than being a lawyer? he may be well advised to find a second line of work.

shirleyberan May 22, 2018 @ 8:42 a.m.

I think you're right. All the "professional" lying and double-dealing feeds those demons.

Don Bauder May 22, 2018 @ 4:07 p.m.

shirleyberan: As far back as antiquity or farther, there have been professional liars. Men outnumber women in that regard about 5 to 1. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 22, 2018 @ 4:04 p.m.

Murphyjunk: Good idea, so long as he doesn't become a bartender. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan May 21, 2018 @ 12:38 p.m.

Another sick guy bargaining with Mephistopheles.

Don Bauder May 21, 2018 @ 2:52 p.m.

shirleyberan: And we know that Mephistopheles is a hard bargainer. Ask Faust. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan May 22, 2018 @ 11:53 a.m.

Or what if it's a Freudian diagnosis that he hates his mother and takes it out on all women? That is messed up.

Don Bauder May 22, 2018 @ 4:17 p.m.

shirleyberan: I think the Freudian diagnosis is messed up. Men's historical mistreatment of women is related to a number of factors. All of those factors are outrageous. A couple of years ago we went into some kind of temple (I have forgotten what sect). A sign said women menstruating could not enter. Recently, we went to an exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls. The writings showed a strong contempt of women menstruating.

There were open discussions of how to treat your slaves. One book of the Old Testament discusses the question of selling one's daughter into slavery. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan May 22, 2018 @ 5:29 p.m.

Don - I read your last comment to my 26 year old daughter while thinking I might reply with some such as a Red Sea would be disgusting. Teased her about selling my daughter, hmmm, but she quipped quickly "you can't sell your elderly parents because nobody wants them". We use humor to communicate now so I gotta let it go... About Achord, seems that the violence could escalate... needs to get a grip, calm down.

Don Bauder May 22, 2018 @ 9:04 p.m.

shirleyberan: Your daughter is filled with wisdom. We graybeards would not make good slaves. I am afraid we would be sold for a few pennies at a slave auction. Best, Don Bauder

Darren May 24, 2018 @ 2:40 a.m.

A lawyer taking his stress out on others. No excuse, just signs and wonders, a sign of the times...

Don Bauder May 24, 2018 @ 7:34 a.m.

Darren: A stressed-out lawyer need not take it out on his spouse. Wouldn't he get the same satisfaction fleecing his clients? Best, Don Bauder

Darren May 24, 2018 @ 1:25 p.m.

Hi Don, well said. I have some friends who practice family law, and I honestly have no clue how they do what they do. No money (hourly rate) can cover the cost to one's psyche being in a position of a lawyer representing a husband or wife wanting to punish the other (with help of the legal system), or issue restraining orders, seizing bank accounts, levying paychecks, and much more. There are also the issues of elder abuse which are very tragic in our society where money/a$$ets/materials, supplant the aid to a mom or dad in their sunset years.

Don Bauder May 25, 2018 @ 11:59 a.m.

Darren: I have never been divorced (married 55 years), but I understand divorce lawyers on both sides conspire to lengthen the process, thus maximizing their fees. Best, Don Bauder

Darren May 27, 2018 @ 8:34 p.m.

Thanks Don and congrats to you for keeping a marriage together for 55 years. Relationships are a work-in-progress, and like fine wine, it gets better!

I have a friend of a friend who is gonna soon divorce his wife as she just spent $5,000 in one weekend on two purses. It's an on-going concern and trending to the acute/chronic cycle. I wish him well as the lawyer fees will cost much more than the $5,000, if he wants to keep his house and car. He might be lucky to get out with the shirt on his back once the lawyer she hired, likely using his earned money in savings, makes the first strike.

Makes me glad to know you and I did not become lawyers.

Darren May 27, 2018 @ 9:31 p.m.

Not that I would not mind being an attorney, but I just don't know about mixing a bottle of Excedrin and pint of vodka each night after dealing with the battles the clients are having with one another. Geez!

Don Bauder May 27, 2018 @ 9:57 p.m.

Darren: Of course, if he is a billionaire, he won't even realize his wife is spending $5000 in one weekend on two purses. This is another example of what our soak-the-middle class, subsidize the upper 1 percent public policy has brought us. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 27, 2018 @ 9:58 p.m.

Darren: Yes, clients are a pain, but how the lawyers fleece them! Best, Don Bauder

Darren May 27, 2018 @ 10:24 p.m.

Hi Don, well said! Unfortunately the friend-of-friend is a working-class stiff, with technical job/skills, who just so happens to earn close to $200k a year, so his wife is fleecing him. I once thought $200k was lots of annual income, but not in San Diego today, unless you manage that income and expenditures carefully. The pur$uit of material objects, peak experiences (like travel, food, etc.) and the vanity quotient, has skewed too many souls where they forget what it is just to be human. Take care Don.

Don Bauder May 28, 2018 @ 8:59 p.m.

Darren: I hate seeing the cost-of-living soar as it has done in San Diego. But you are right. Those in Rancho Santa Fe aren't suffering, although some in that town are complete frauds who get caught. Best, Don Bauder

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader