Happiness is bloomin' all around him.
  • Happiness is bloomin' all around him.

From Shmuel's Loxicography of Yiddish Design:

Have your photo taken with the Official Portrait® when it makes an appearance at Disneyland's Hall of Presidents, February 29-31.

Hallucious, adj.

Pronunciation: cha-lush-us.

Etymology: from the Yiddish "a chaloshes," literally to faint.

1) Sick-making; atrocious, particularly in reference to artistic shlock.

Comments

dwbat Feb. 15, 2018 @ 9:26 a.m.

I would have preferred the "throne" motif. It's more down-to-earth.

None

Scott Marks Feb. 15, 2018 @ 12:46 p.m.

He needs a butt going and a copy of the U-T to read while he rides.

monaghan Feb. 15, 2018 @ 7:57 p.m.

Chac'un a son gout, I guess, but this was gratuitously vicious and, dare I say, racist-sounding. Since when is Scotty reviewing painting? And I also would like to "suggest removal" of the scurrilous comment of "Dave Berlinger."

dwbat Feb. 15, 2018 @ 10:29 p.m.

No racism. Scott was being his usual funny self. And I was having fun with Obama, who I love so much. He rocks.

Scott Marks Feb. 15, 2018 @ 10:35 p.m.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the painting was Disney, in particular "Mary Poppins." How is calling it "hallucious" even remotely "racist-sounding"? Lighten up. He had to have expected criticism after posing for a bolt of wallpaper such as this.

And let's put an end to the umbday rumor "Dave Berlinger" was kind enough to share: https://www.snopes.com/obama-official-portrait-sperm-cells/.

None

jnojr Feb. 16, 2018 @ 11:34 a.m.

This is such an incredibly odd painting. It looks like the "artist" was trying to make him look Latin instead of black. And what's with the enormous hands? Disturbing on many levels...

dwbat Feb. 16, 2018 @ 12:37 p.m.

This portrait was much worse! Looks like it was done with an Etch-A-Sketch.

None

monaghan Feb. 17, 2018 @ 11:19 a.m.

I will be charitable and just say this site is Philistine Central.

Scott Marks Feb. 17, 2018 @ 1:25 p.m.

Especially when you consider that two of the comments belong to you, Phyllis Stein. :P

Get $5 off any Reader event

Sign up for our email list to get your promo code