The author didn't restrain himself from buying a bottle of the stuff to test it.
  • The author didn't restrain himself from buying a bottle of the stuff to test it.
  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

Over 107,023 sodas of the 7up brand in all its varieties have been recalled in the state of Baja and distribution has stopped. José María Soto Gastelum, 35, died after drinking the soda bought in a convenience store on September 17th in Ejido de Jalapa, a small village of four by five blocks situated 30 miles south of Mexicali/Calexico. The poisoned sodas have been traced back to a distributor in Hermosillo, Sonora, who distributes in the greater area of northwest Mexico.

Ejido Jalapa, south of Mexicali, site of the only known death resulting from the suspected meth-infused soda

According to the autopsy, Soto’s cause of death was a methamphetamine overdose. Soto’s relatives say he was not a known user of the substance. Seven others (some sources report ten) were hospitalized the same day, reporting symptoms of labored breathing and chest pains in several clinics around the area. They have all recovered.

The attorney general of the state (the Procuraduría General de Justicia del Estado de Baja California), Fernando Ramírez, confirmed that the sodas tested positive for liquid methamphetamine.

There have not been any more cases of poisoning reported since the incident, but extreme precautions have been put in place and an investigation is underway. None of the 7ups in the U.S. were tainted, as Mexico bottles under Grupo Gepp and not Dr. Pepper Snapple Group.

Looked good, tasted okay, but made the author feel bad

The governor of the state, Francisco “Kiko” Vega, through the state’s health agency, issued a briefing urging citizens to avoid consuming 7up products and for establishments to remove the sodas from their shelves, emphasizing the two-liter version.

The first store I visited on September 27th, the Calimax supermarket on Calle Segunda did not have 7up anywhere, though it is usually available. The store next to the Calimax didn’t have 7up either, but an employee told me they usually never have it. Two Oxxo convenience stores next to each other didn’t have the product either. At the third Oxxo, just a block away from the other two, I found a two-liter bottle of the soda.

Disregarding the state’s warning, I bought the bottle and had a small glass with my late dinner of two quesadillas. I didn’t feel any symptoms and had a normal night of sleep. The following day at 1 p.m., after breakfast and coffee, I poured another glass of the 7up and took some photos for this article.

Though I don’t drink soda regularly, I tried to drink a tall glass while typing this. It was slightly less effervescent and more sugary than I remembered. It gave me a slight headache, but I thought it was just the sugar. I drank more than half the glass and threw the rest away.

After some minutes had passed, I had rapid thoughts — I felt like I was concentrating on five things at once and had more energy than usual, but jittery. I began feeling flushed, light-headed, and I had pain behind my eyes. I started sweating. I took a shower to try and relax but still felt odd after. By about 6 p.m. it seemed my reaction had run its course.

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from SDReader


monaghan Sept. 28, 2017 @ 7:29 p.m.

"Disregarding the state's warning, I bought the bottle and had a small glass with my late dinner....The following day...I poured another glass of the 7up...I drank more than half the glass and threw the rest away." Are you crazy??? Are you trying to eliminate the Reader's sole Latino entry in alternative weeklies' diversity sweepstakes? Or are you just testing the word of the Attorney General of the State of Baja California? Call me old-fashioned, but I think you could write about meth-laced 7up being banned in Baja without describing your own dangerous experiment ingesting it.


dwbat Sept. 28, 2017 @ 9:45 p.m.

Just one more reason to not only stay out of Mexico, but also to never drink any kind of beverage bottled there. Why go looking for trouble?


Javajoe25 Sept. 29, 2017 @ 10:57 a.m.

As I recall, there was never any problem with the tequila. I say play it safe, which means "don't eat the worm."


Chad Deal Sept. 29, 2017 @ 12:20 p.m.

Gonzo journalism at its finest. I commend your efforts, Suarez. Buy the soda. Take the dive.


Matingas Sept. 29, 2017 @ 12:58 p.m.

The rest is in the fridge waiting for you.


Sign in to comment

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader