Donald Trump, playing to his base in an Alabama speech Friday and in a series of tweets, slammed NFL players who don't stand for the national anthem. The president said the league is losing TV viewers partly because it concentrates too much on preventing injuries, such as penalizing players for making hard tackles.

Junior Seau when he played for the New England Patriots (2006–2009)

Wikipedia/Ângulo ótimo

San Diegans who recall the suicide of Junior Seau, one of the Chargers' best all-time players — and a very hard tackler — may not take kindly to the remarks.

Trump stated that because of the injury prevention, "They're ruining the game," according to the New York Times. The remarks about players refusing to stand for the anthem were aimed at Colin Kaepernick, a former San Francisco 49er who protested racism by not standing and has not been signed by any team. Many think the owners have blacklisted him, although other players have participated in the protest, and three-fourths of the players in the league are African-American, according to the Times.

The newspaper said Trump "seemed to disinvite" the NBA champion Golden State Warriors to the White House for the traditional visit. The team's star, Stephen Curry, has been critical of Trump. LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers, one of the best players in the game, tweeted, "Going to the White House was a great honor until you showed up!"

Comments

AlexClarke Sept. 24, 2017 @ 7:49 a.m.

Why should Trump care about safety or anything else? He has never done anything for anyone but himself. He never served his country. He has never done anything for his community. He has never volunteered for anything. The only thing he has been successful at is being a bully. He is now the Bully in Chief. He has no idea what patriotism is or why men and women are willing serve their country or die for their country. Trump is a phony and the people who voted for him deserve him.

Don Bauder Sept. 24, 2017 @ 8:09 a.m.

AlexClarke: This speech and the tweets, along with his comments about Charlottesville, were attempts to appeal to his white nationalist base that may -- and hopefully will -- finally awaken some people, even within that base, to the man's extremely flawed nature.

Three different psychiatrists have told me he is a psychotic narcissist. He reacts to everything personally. He is insensitive to others. His war of insults with the North Korean leader is an example…a very dangerous one.

I recently read that in Richard Nixon's last days in the White House, when he was constantly drunk and walking about, speaking to paintings of other presidents, he was deprived of the ability to launch nuclear war. I have forgotten the two White House aides that arranged this, but both should be celebrated in history. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Sept. 24, 2017 @ 8:18 a.m.

Mike Murphy: The head of the NFL made a very weak response to Trump. A flood of comments came into the New York Times, very critical of Trump. Personally, I defend the rights of players to kneel down at the playing of the national anthem. Racism, unfortunately, is still with us and this is a legitimate way to protest it.

I stand for the national anthem and place my hand on my heart. But I am not a member of a minority group. I am not critical of those who choose not to do so. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK Sept. 24, 2017 @ 9:15 a.m.

the old saying “It Don’t Mean Nuthin’” says a lot about this.

Don Bauder Sept. 24, 2017 @ 11:19 a.m.

Murphyjunk: I agree: the fact that some players, protesting racism, kneel for the national anthem "don't mean nuthin" in terms of patriotism. It does, however, have a meaning when protesting racism. Best, Don Bauder

clftnb Sept. 24, 2017 @ 12:07 p.m.

You are right "it don't mean nuthin". I guess it "don't mean nuthin" now that nobody is watching a bunch of overpaid athletes, actors and "news" reporters. My advice to them would be job training, that gravy train is about to run off the rails and I couldn't GAF less! Proud Deplorable!

Don Bauder Sept. 24, 2017 @ 2:11 p.m.

ciftnb: You say that "nobody is watching a bunch of overpaid athletes." However, as reported below, the Trump speech and tweets have stirred up a hornet's nest, as I will relate below. Best, Don Bauder

clftnb Sept. 25, 2017 @ 3:54 a.m.

I stand corrected and will re-phrase. No one with any sense is watching. Those tax subsidized "teams" and ath-elites are spitting in the eye of every American while picking our pockets. If you watch any of that circus, you are a fool. You describing a "Hornets Nest" is right, annoying noisy bugs that will take over you your space if you don't do something about it. The longer you let it go the worse it gets.

Don Bauder Sept. 25, 2017 @ 7:30 a.m.

clftnb: I agree that one reason players are overpaid is that owners are subsidized by governments. That is not only stupid public policy, it is outrageous when governments have so many other critical obligations, such as dealing with the homeless problem, repairing rundown infrastructure, etc. I have been preaching this since 1995. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Sept. 24, 2017 @ 2:27 p.m.

PLAYERS, OWNERS SUPPORT NFL AND BLAST TRUMP BEFORE TODAY'S GAMES. National Football League players today (Sunday, Sept. 24) demonstrated during the national anthem in protesting the actions of Trump. Team owners, many of them Trump supporters, wrote against Trump's statements.

Here are some highlights from the New York Times: The Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans stayed in their locker rooms prior to their Nashville game. The Pittsburgh Steelers skipped the anthem in Chicago. A National Football League executives said teams not taking the field for the anthem will not be fired. (Trump has suggested players not participating in the anthem should be fired.) Dozens of Denver Broncos players knelt in Buffalo. Ten New Orleans Saints players sat for the anthem at Charlotte. Indianapolis fans booed Cleveland Browns players who locked arms during the anthem.

Even Terry Bradshaw of Fox said, "Every American has the right to speak out and also to protest." The league's only Muslim owner, Shahid Khan of the Jacksonville Jaguars, locked arms with his players in protest of Trump's statement that NFL owners should fire players who don't participate in the anthem.

Conservative commentator Dinesh D'Souza, who has a San Diego home, said in a tweet, "It's time to loudly boo teams & players who refuse to respect the national anthem."

A number of owners agreed with the protesting players. Los Angeles Chargers owner Dean Spanos made an enigmatic remark: "The NFL and its players, more than anything, have been a force for good." Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Sept. 24, 2017 @ 4:21 p.m.

Jeff Madruga: There won't be needless deaths because of Trump's statements about wanting NFL owners to fire players kneeling while the anthem is playing, and the game's being sissified to protect against injuries, thus hurting TV ratings.

But Trump's remarks on North Korea? They could cause needless deaths. Somebody has to get control of that man. Best, Don Bauder

bbq Sept. 25, 2017 @ 7:05 a.m.

Having been a gold medal winning athlete and having our national anthem played for me in a foreign country as tribute to great performances and the history our Anthem represents, I do not take the Anthem lightly. It is an honor to have that bestowed on you as it is an honor to stand one step down and honor someone from a different country get their reward respecting their country's anthem. However in this case I stand /kneel with our current Athletes (Over-Paid/Elitist or not). As I near 60 years old, I still learn everyday and my latest learnings are all that is evident may not be true. Weather it was about my grandfather the Police Commissioner of Detroit in the 1960s (who ordered the Police dept not to shoot looters "I'll be damned if we will murder someone for robbery") or the still messed up discrimination and race relations in this country, I am proud to align with my fellow athletes and my family in looking for ways to better our country and society. To all that criticize using the only platform these athletes have, look at Charlotte and the platform the far-right used, at least no one has been killed due to the NFL Athletes. To all beware the internet where the algorisms only send you what you normally look up, you are missing the other side of the story! BBQ

Don Bauder Sept. 25, 2017 @ 7:34 a.m.

bbq: Yours is a sound and well-crafted statement. I agree. Best, Don Bauder

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!