Jennifer Campbell, Lorie Zapf, Kevin Faulconer
  • Jennifer Campbell, Lorie Zapf, Kevin Faulconer

On August 28, a former president of the California Democratic Club, Dr. Jennifer Campbell, filed papers with the city clerk's office to register as a candidate in the District 2 race.

Campbell is the fifth candidate to challenge incumbent Lorie Zapf in the November 2018 election. She joins environmental attorney Brian Pease, former Chargers executive Jordan Beane, real estate broker Daniel Smiechowski, and veteran Joshua Tomolak.

Democratic challengers see November 2018 as a chance to gain more Democratic seats on San Diego's city council. According to the registrar of voters, there are nearly 9000 more Democrats registered in the district, which includes Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, and Point Loma.

Campbell has spoken out against Mayor Faulconer and his supporters. She campaigned for Faulconer's opponent, city councilmember David Alvarez, in 2014.

"Don’t be fooled by Faulconer ads! He is a Republican and his record shows he votes on the side of the Republicans all the time," Campbell wrote in a Clairemont Democratic Party newsletter in 2014. "He was hand picked to run for mayor by Doug Manchester. Yes, that guy who gave at least $100,000 to defeat gay marriage in California. That guy who bought the Union Tribune and 8 other local newspapers as well as controlling much of the television news coverage in San Diego, and that guy who funds the Lincoln Club. We won’t mention his personal code of ethics."

While Zapf is outnumbered in terms of Democratic challengers, there is no question she will have a far superior war chest. As of July 28, Zapf has raised nearly $130,000 since the beginning of the year.

Comments

JustWondering Sept. 1, 2017 @ 11:19 a.m.

Zapf's husband and his recent entanglement with bankruptcy certainly does not reflect well on her. Questionable acts and omissions never reflect well. But she can always claim she knew nothing.

Visduh Sept. 1, 2017 @ 12:52 p.m.

When Dick Silberman got in very hot water for money laundering, his wife was Susan Golding, the mayor. I cannot recall anyone in the media or in politics who even suggested that she was somehow involved. In truth nearly everyone went out of their way to feel sorry for her and say that she knew nothing. And didn't she even get reelected after his conviction?

JustWondering Sept. 2, 2017 @ 5:01 a.m.

Visduh: I believe your recount of the political history of Mayor Golding is accurate. My only comment - that was then, and this is now. The state of what passes for journalism seems different to me. Then being fact based, while now more tabloid sensationalism in nature. One more factual, the other more innuendo or supposition. So only time will tell in my opinion.

Ponzi Sept. 2, 2017 @ 7:31 a.m.

But Golding enjoyed the spoils of her husbands crimes.

Visduh Sept. 2, 2017 @ 7:48 a.m.

He bankrolled her run for Supervisor, and it appeared that he cleaned out his pockets doing so. And that may have explained his subsequent criminal acts.

Ponzi Sept. 2, 2017 @ 7:29 a.m.

She doesn't have to claim she knew nothing. She demonstrates she knows nothing everyday..

Julie Stalmer Sept. 1, 2017 @ 11:31 a.m.

I think an in-depth article on candidate Smiechowski is in order.

Bearer_of_no_name Sept. 1, 2017 @ 1:26 p.m.

I don't know the man politically but he is DEFINITELY the weirdest dude in the neighborhood. It would be an interesting read.

dwbat Sept. 4, 2017 @ 10:15 a.m.

I guess nobody here ever heard of ZAP Comix! ;-)

Ponzi Sept. 2, 2017 @ 6:23 p.m.

Jenn's going to have to get a $200 hair style, a professional glamour shot and then have the teeth photo-shopped stage white like Lorie Zapf did.

Visduh Sept. 2, 2017 @ 7:37 p.m.

Ponz, I think Zapf's teeth may be that white all the time. Not that it proves anything. Oh, and I doubt that she's anything taller than 5 feet. So, the package is not unattractive at all, but actions are what define what a politician represents. When SD had a glamorous mayor (of similar short stature) there was plenty of attention paid to her looks. What was missing was anything like intellect, and she may have been the biggest disappointment in local politics in ages.

So, yeah, you have it pegged pretty accurately.

Ponzi Sept. 3, 2017 @ 6:41 p.m.

Well Lorie Zapf has taken care of herself and at age 59, was able to attract a younger man, Eric Zapf who is 51.

dannytri Sept. 24, 2017 @ 6:04 p.m.

I enjoyed reading through the comments. I laughed so hard my belly burst over the weird moniker. I'm assuming the label was meant in a positive tone rather than disparaging. My votes on the CCPG are clear and unequivocal. As a real estate professional for the past 40 years, I support smart growth, affordable housing, higher density along the Mid Coast Trolley line and height limitations. My voting record reflects my beliefs. I am a former lifeguard at the old Mission Beach Plunge and will support our beaches, bays, estuaries and rivers. I am also a landlord renting to low income Veterans and the homeless. The PB Town Council selected me to present a Veterans plaque at the American WWII cemetery near my second home in Normandy. The French Prime Minister from Le Havre is a friend of mine as we are scheduled to discuss the Paris Accord this November. I am endorsed by no less than 23 local business owners including Baci's Italian Restaurant, Bay Park Fish, Espresso Coffee, French Gourmet, Papa's Pizza, El Rey Taco, Moraga Salon, Quality Bikes, Annies alterations, Lele's cleaners, Arely French Bakery and many more. I am a 50 year resident of this District having graduated from all local schools including SDSU and Alliant University. I am a former public and private school teacher in D2. I am a conservative Democrat. I will speak truth to power. I have the endorsement of at least 1000 local common San Diegans. I give at least 20% of my income to needy and worthy local residents. I seek nothing, I seek the public good, I seek truth and honesty and that's it! But most importantly, there is always some hidden goodness behind what some subjectively call interesting, weird or likewise. Choose your taught wisely. Be prudent and gracious as we are all working together for a better SD!!! God bless, Danny PS I am not offended by being called weird!! Not at all as I see it is label of appreciation for all my charitable work in D2 for the past 50 years. Danny

None

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!