The Medical Board of California has filed an accusation against Dan Orville Harper, MD, who practices at Be Well Associates in Solana Beach. He is charged with negligence, gross negligence, and unprofessional conduct in his practice of treatments such as homeopathy and ozone therapy.

For example, the board points out that Harper "treats his patients with 'energy medicine' created by him through the alleged transference of frequencies or 'energies' from one bottle to another through his use of the 'remedy maker' machine which he claims imbues the latter bottle with healing properties."

However, the board says, "There is no evidence that any homeopathic remedies can be exactly replicated or transferred by any machine" in the manner Harper describes.

Harper also uses "craniosacral therapy" or healing touch. (Craniosacral therapy is a holistic healing practices using light touching on the body.) He said he learned craniosacral therapy from a young Native American woman when he was living in Montana. He was asked where she learned the technique. His reply: "One of the medicine men up in the Flathead Valley taught her." He says the technique pulls out negative energy in the patients' area.

He is also charged with other offenses, such as keeping inadequate records on patients. Possible penalties could range from probation to losing his license

Comments

JustWondering Nov. 11, 2016 @ 11:55 a.m.

Yikes...Modern medicine? Weren't these the techniques used by medicine side shows in the late 19th and early 20th centuries? Wonder if he prescribes "snake oil" remedies too?

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2016 @ 1:01 p.m.

JustWondering: There are a lot of people who use homeopathic purported remedies. The problem in regulating such medical practices is that about one person in three actually does get better -- probably psychologically. It's the placebo effect. I have done several stories on these practitioners through the years, and always received hate mail from people who swear by the remedies.

In this case, though, the medical board has evidence such as not keeping adequate records that can be used in the decision. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 12, 2016 @ 10:06 a.m.

Homeopathy seems to say that the more you dilute something, the more potent it gets. Or that's what I got from an explanation provided on one of those "herb and mineral" radio programs that we get on AM radio on weekends. Makes no sense to this former chemistry teacher at all. (Duh, the more it is diluted the weaker it gets.)

But then, I've not seen any rigorous scientific explanation of chiropractic either. Oh, then there's acupuncture that has its proponents, many of whom attribute near-miraculous benefits to it. I'll just stick with things that I think will work, and if I should become convinced that homeopathic remedies, or herbal remedies, actually work, I'll use 'em.

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:07 p.m.

Visduh: Some people believe passionately in the efficacy of these homeopathic remedies.Is it the placebo effect, or do these purported remedies really work? Don't express yourself too loudly on this topic --- either way -- in a barroom.You might find yourself in a fistfight. Best, Don Bauder

pata Nov. 12, 2016 @ 11:21 a.m.

I have a license in the medical field and have used Dr. Dan's medical services. I was referred by two other medical professionals to his services. I have no complaints in the care I was given by Dr. Dan and was grateful that he understood how to incorporate western medicine and homeopathy. He has been well trained in both medicines.

Homeopathic medicine can be a wonderful source of medicine for those that use it correctly.

I understand the state of California has a job too do, but this sounds to me like they are picking on him.

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:16 p.m.

pata: Reading the board's accusation, I got the feeling that this will be decided on non-efficacy matters. The doctor kept sloppy records, according to the accusation, and there seem to be persuasive examples of this. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:18 p.m.

Rob Cullen: Good? Or bad? Yes, that is the essence of the controversy. It will not be an easy decision. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:19 p.m.

Christine Janig: There are many people that agree with you. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:23 p.m.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz: Was it Linus Pauling who proselytized for a vitamin? Wasn't he or some other laureate recommending massive doses of Vitamin C every day? Critics pointed out that he was a distinguished scientist, but not a doctor. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:25 p.m.

Roger Bird: As far as I know, there are no laws preventing people from chug-a-lugging Vitamin C all day. Have people done it? Were they healthier? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:27 p.m.

Roger Bird: If we abolished medical regulatory bodies, I think quackery would multiply very rapidly. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2016 @ 8:22 p.m.

Christine Jahnig: if my journalistic past with this subject is prologue, this scrum will last, and it will be rough. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi Nov. 12, 2016 @ 8:52 p.m.

I know people who take all kinds of supplements. It usually means they just have to most expensive urine on the block.

Other than a multi-vitamin, most people don't need supplements unless blood-work illustrates a deficiency in a particular vitamin or mineral. A balanced diet should supply everything your body needs. The problem is many people have bad diets and think that supplements can help mitigate all the salt, sugar and fat they over-consume.

Don Bauder Nov. 13, 2016 @ 5:33 a.m.

Ponzi: I take a bunch of pills every night and every morning. Each one was suggested by a physician. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 13, 2016 @ 4:18 p.m.

I remember reading vitamin C studies where they gave high doses to patients for pain and drug withdrawal. Other opinion was there might be side effects, is two sided. I'd guess 1,000 mg is a body benefit (seem to remember tissue repair involved). Still wondering if more is better. I take a high quality multi, not synthetic but organic and food based when possible. No snake oil, just krill or fish, (sea stuff = good) CoQ10, D3, flaxseed oil, magnesium comes in oil too. Maybe too much oil but for now I’m doing it because they all have heart health benefit.
     A recent KPBS Dr. pontificator, Josh Axe (new book - “Eat Dirt”) recommends soil-based probiotics for healing “the gut”, another area of concern. Seems to me we’re not looking for anything paranormal just a higher more efficient internal vibrational energy flow of function, less strain-stress wear and tear aging. He also mentioned Collagen Protein Powder, sounds right to me. Lots of powdered protein I can't name here but definitely unsweetened.
     He advocates the green and sour stuff plus spirulina, granny smith apples, bone broth soup is a thing. Pan Darco tea, I’ll try to find it. I just bought a list of benefits in Matcha tea and a new Green Vibrance daily superfood with probiotics, both dissolve easily in water. I’d rather drink the veggies and can easily consume more than I want to chew. Pretty sure the right green (and berries) slows down cancer growth. Still need the real B12, the common one is not good. Want selenium now.
     Dr. Perricone, from the 90’s skin health lectures public broadcast, eulogizes Alpha Lipoid Acid and I think he’s correct that it could be highly beneficial. The Natrol company label: Cell Rejuvenation and Helps Protect Against Age-Related Damage. I’m for that. So I’ve taken it a lot and I’m not wrinkly yet. I take (eclectic institute) organic fresh freeze-dried milk thistle from Henry’s. Liver detox assist.
      Amino acids are a complex and useful bunch. Going to look at proline, glycine, glutamine, glutathione. Have empties of L-Lysine and Arginine, can't remember what is L-Tyrosine for.
      Long Live Longevity Science Research!  Study on induced heart damage in monkeys where the half that were fed blueberries every day had significant repair and longer life. I’m on it, and dark purple blackberries too. Believe what you want or read medical journals but Don, check the meds for interactions with somebody who knows what they are doing. Maybe they can de-prescribe. Sorry about the length of ramble. Love

Don Bauder Nov. 15, 2016 @ 10:13 p.m.

Shirleyberan: As I said, there are passionate believers in these purported medicines. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 13, 2016 @ 4:22 p.m.

Don - had too many words and your printer whacked it up.

Don Bauder Nov. 15, 2016 @ 10:16 p.m.

Shirleyberan: I don't remember having seen this before. Best, Don Bauder