Two area doctors face discipline from the Medical Board of California, according to accusations filed earlier this year.

Dr. Theodore Affue of El Centro is charged with giving a radical orchiectomy (testicle removal) to a patient without adequate study.

Affue "did not consider further diagnostic study and did not order or review the records from [another physician] prior to scheduling the surgery," says the medical board's accusation. Affue committed "negligent acts" in another case, says the board.

Dr. Rodney Sidransky of Chula Vista had "a long history of alcoholism and substance abuse," according to the accusation. At one point he was allegedly downing a bottle of vodka each day and used cocaine and marijuana.

Comments

shirleyberan April 19, 2016 @ 3:16 p.m.

Origami Wiki: "Modern origami practioners generally discourage the use of cuts, glue, or markings on the paper. Origami folders often use the Japanese word kirigami to refer to designs which use cuts, although cutting is more characteristic of Chinese paper crafts." Without anesthesia?

Don Bauder April 19, 2016 @ 3:41 p.m.

shirleyberan: I am not sure I follow you on that. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 19, 2016 @ 3:48 p.m.

Oh you said orchiectomy, not origami. Never mind.

Don Bauder April 19, 2016 @ 3:53 p.m.

shirleyberan: There is a huge difference between origami and orchiectomy. I have nightmares about the latter. In our family, when a dog or cat got fixed, I suffered for days. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 19, 2016 @ 4:24 p.m.

qpodad April 19, 2016 @ 5:38 p.m.

If these are accusations they are like a Complaint in Civil Litigation. A Decision of the Medical Board is like a judge/jury verdict. What I mean to say, is these two practitioner's may actually found to have not done anything wrong. It's all public info, and that is a good thing, but filing an Accusation is the just the first step in a discipline process. Thanks for putting interesting articles up often Don, they need more writers like you.

Don Bauder April 19, 2016 @ 8:21 p.m.

qpodad: In the case of Sidransky, there is a mountain of evidence about his overusing alcohol and drugs. It would be very hard for him to escape a severe penalty, including losing his license.

Affue will likely be a closer call. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 19, 2016 @ 7:57 p.m.

Somebody's sensitive. Anyway the guys were lucky. A doctor was reported for opening a cancer clinic, diagnosing hundreds of patients with cancer who didn't have it, prescribed radiation and chemo they administered at his clinic killing several people. Can live without testicles. Lots of people have alcohol and drug problems so better get a second opinion.

Don Bauder April 19, 2016 @ 8:23 p.m.

shirleyberan: Affue's patients were above age 70. That may make a difference in a final judgement. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper April 20, 2016 @ 12:05 a.m.

What's going on? Is there a new censor at work or why are so many comments (even one by the blog author) being removed?

Don Bauder April 20, 2016 @ 6:43 a.m.

Flapper: In my case, the removal from another blog item was meaningless. I had made an error in the original post. I was told about it by a reader, and posted a mea culpa. Then I asked the administrator to fix the errors. That was done and the mea culpa then was confusing. So the post was removed and the statement plugged in.

As for shirleyberan in this item, I have no idea why her statement was removed. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 20, 2016 @ 10:35 a.m.

AlexClarke: That was the utterance of Dr. Affue's patient. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper April 21, 2016 @ 10:30 a.m.

Why would being over 70 make a difference?

PS: Am I the only one who has this problem? The Reader system frequently fails to recognize me, requiring me to "sign in to post." When I do, in invariably says the password is wrong, and it has to be changed. Sometimes this takes several times to get the system to accept it. I'm not asking you, Don, I'm asking the others who post comments. But if you have an answer, I would, of course, be happy to hear it.

Don Bauder April 21, 2016 @ 2:51 p.m.

Flapper: It happens to me every once in a while. But after I sign in I have no problems. Call the Reader and ask to talk to the people in tech who handle such things.

Why does over 70 make a difference? I should have explained. The patient had a whole lot of problems. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 21, 2016 @ 3:36 p.m.

And would have been better off keeping those body parts. Probably lowered essential testosterone.

Don Bauder April 21, 2016 @ 7:57 p.m.

shirleyberan: We don't know if he would have been better off keeping those body parts. The allegation is that the doctor didn't do his homework. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 21, 2016 @ 5:53 p.m.

Flapper - it's not you, just keep going smart one.

Don Bauder April 21, 2016 @ 7:58 p.m.

shirleyberan: I don't think anyone has suggested that the problem only bothers Flapper. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 21, 2016 @ 8:18 p.m.

I wasn't being sarcastic either. Just came out with a down sound.

Don Bauder April 22, 2016 @ 6:54 a.m.

shirleyberan: "Down sound?" I don't get that one either. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 22, 2016 @ 1:24 p.m.

Well I'll never understand you ya big baby.

Don Bauder April 22, 2016 @ 2:38 p.m.

shirleyberan: Speaking as someone who turns 80 next month, I enjoy being called a big baby. Best, Don Bauder