On Tuesday, March 24, the San Diego City Council will vote on whether to approve a proposal by St. Vincent de Paul Village for year-round "interim housing" for the city’s homeless.
But on Sunday morning, March 22, residents of the temporary winter tents in Barrio Logan had different concerns.
Christopher, 29, and Crystalanne Colonna, 27, said they hadn’t heard of the council’s plan, but Chris said, “That’s a good idea. I think you should do that.” They are concerned about having living quarters by June 21, when Crystal is scheduled to deliver the couple’s baby.
“There’s another lady in there who’s four months pregnant,” said Crystalanne. “She needs a place, too.”
Lila Thompson, 65, also hadn’t heard of the plan, but she has more immediate concerns. When the tent closes on April 1 and most of its 200 residents are back on the streets, Thompson said she will have to sleep in her truck with her dogs.
Stephanie Skinner had arrived at the cream-colored temporary-housing tent at the intersection of 16th and Sigsbee to pick up the large black trash bags holding her belongings.
“I think it’s great. They should do it,” said Skinner, 42, who was moving a few blocks away with her friend, Susan Johnson. Skinner and Johnson hadn’t heard of the year-round housing plan for the city’s homeless. They were just happy to be joining the PATH program at Sixth Avenue and A Street.
Tim Reed, who had been living in the temporary housing since it opened November 1, hadn’t heard of the plan, either.
“It’s a good idea,” he said before inserting earbuds in his ears and walking away.
The council meets at 10 a.m., March 24, at 202 C Street.