Laura Wakil, M.D., a psychiatrist, has sued Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and related Kaiser organizations for violation of the state health and safety code, retaliation, negligent supervision, and wrongful constructive termination. (Constructive termination is a situation in which an employee claims mistreatment that effectively forced a resignation.)

In a suit filed in superior court, Wakil says she was hired by Kaiser's Vista facility after her husband was transferred to San Diego. She says she complained about patients' and her own safety and her supervisors retaliated, creating a hostile work environment that led to her constructive termination.

In the suit, she complains of Kaiser's "failure to provide adequate staffing" that compromised patient care.

Kaiser says Wakil voluntarily resigned in April. "She was not terminated and we dispute the allegations she has made," says Kaiser.

Sponsor Partners

Comments

Visduh July 2, 2015 @ 7:37 p.m.

Another suit against Kaiser in a long series of such suits. There are some residents of the area who would have no other medical-care provider. But far more are convinced that it is a third-rate operation, and will have nothing to do with Kaiser. Somehow, Kaiser manages to settle these suits quietly and to continue to operate, all the while proclaiming Kaiser's commitment to health and well being. It has been impossible to determine just what keeps happening at Kaiser, but I'd advise any one who wants to sign up with a medical group/plan to look VERY closely at Kaiser before selecting it. Your life might depend upon it.

Don Bauder July 2, 2015 @ 9:06 p.m.

Visduh: Some Kaiser locations have a very bad reputation. This may be the case in Vista. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh July 2, 2015 @ 9:49 p.m.

Actually, I know little of the Kaiser operation in my home town. Most of the grief seems to center at the hospital in Grantville, on Zion Ave.

Don Bauder July 3, 2015 @ 7:25 a.m.

Visduh: One lawsuit doesn't make or break a facility's reputation. Best, Don Bauder

AlexClarke July 3, 2015 @ 6:18 a.m.

No health organization has enough money or manpower to treat or house the number of people with mental illnesses. The Psych community has labeled almost every human quirk as a mental illness. Mental illness can not be cured only treated and there is no incentive for a shrink to "cure" someone especially those in private practice.

Don Bauder July 3, 2015 @ 7:37 a.m.

AlexClarke: I can't resist telling a story. A guy has been going through what's called client-centered psychotherapy. For years, he has reclined on the couch, rattling on about his problems as the shrink filled up hundreds of notebooks with notes

One day, the patient says, "Doc, I have been doing this for years. I have paid you a million dollars in total. You have to tell me how I am doing."

No answer from the shrink. The patient continues asking the shrink how he is doing in therapy. No answer.

Finally, the patient jumps up, clenches his fist, and demands to know how he is doing.

Says the shrink, "No habla ingles." Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 3, 2015 @ 7:41 a.m.

THE COMEDIAN WHO MIGHT HAVE TOLD THIS STORY. I think the great comic Henny Youngman was the one who told this gag. He used to tell a lot of psychiatrist jokes. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 3, 2015 @ 7:40 a.m.

Molly Butters: An interesting charge. Kaiser is welcome to rebut if it desires. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK July 3, 2015 @ 7:50 a.m.

kaiser seems to be selling more policies than they can handle. long waits, short time with doctor once you are seen. passing out pills and sending customers ( note I did not say patients ) on their was as fast as they can.

Don Bauder July 3, 2015 @ 7:54 a.m.

Murphyjunk: That is a common complaint. Best, Don Bauder

AlexClarke July 4, 2015 @ 5:29 a.m.

Been with Kaiser for over 30 years. Some facilities are busier than others and some time periods are busier than others. The doctors I have had over the years have all been great. If one is unhappy with a particular doctor you can change to another. If you go to any service provider at peak times you will wait longer. I have never had a doctor cut me off but I have gone in prepared. I have talked to friends and neighbors who have other than Kaiser and none of them get the service I get. Kaiser is building new facilities and does have growing pains but it is the best bang for the buck. If you are rich then Kaiser is not for you but I can not afford a private clinic.

Don Bauder July 4, 2015 @ 7:03 a.m.

AlexClarke: I expected controversy on this one. Some complain about Kaiser, others laud it. Best, Don Bauder

Twister July 5, 2015 @ 8:07 p.m.

I have been vacillating about vaccinations.

With all doo-doo respect to the Kaiser Nut-House on Pt. Loma, I have always left there more depressed than when I went in. The last time I was there the shrink showed up in unmistakable religious garb. It was a waste of a 30-buck copay. As I am areligious, I do not want to be "treated" by people who "believe" rather than think. At first I thought this is wrong, but after careful consideration, I believe that all shrinks and doctors should wear visible IDs revealing their religious or intellectual affiliations--in other words, not hiding anything. They know my "religious" affiliation; why shouldn't I know theirs?

The Kaiser ER has saved my old butt several times, but I have been screwed up and screwed by, every other hospital I have had the misfortune to end up in. Alex is probably more right than wrong, but in today's medical system, you had better have a relative, friend, or paid knee-breaker (an new profession in these days of shrinking jobs?) to look out for your best interests.

Kaiser "family physicians" tend to be over-ridden by management to the point of neglecting patients and using pattern-recognition as a diagnostic "tool" rather than analysis. And rolling pills, then rolling them back--little consistency in matters of drugs in particular, when there could be. Non-answers and evasive answers to straight questions is a problem. The MDs don't have enough time to get to know their patients, and over-rely on computer information. How are they supposed to keep up? Find me an answer to these questions and I might re-consider signing up with the VA--at least they are more involved in research. We just had a friend with cancer released from the most prominent local cancer treatment center today. So narrow are the specialists they seem to have forgotten their grasp (if they ever had any) of the whole organism and how things like nutrition are crucial in a functioning immune system (among others) and let this patient get behind the power curve, which may turn out to be a death sentence. Maybe she would have been off at Kaiser?

Don Bauder July 5, 2015 @ 9:02 p.m.

Twister: I would be disturbed by a shrink showing up in religious garb, too. I would not consider it appropriate.

On this blog we have more complaints than praise for Kaiser (hardly a scientific sample) but personally I believe I have heard more positives than negatives. Best, Don Bauder

Twister July 6, 2015 @ 12:34 p.m.

Opinion data (for what it might be worth) always is tricky. In the case instant, the fact is that people would rather complain than compliment, so you're skewed from the start.

Don Bauder July 7, 2015 @ 1:49 p.m.

Twister: You seem to be saying that this blog has a bias toward skepticism, if not cynicism. You may be right. This blog may attract more cynics than any other blog in town. Best, Don Bauder

Twister July 7, 2015 @ 10:47 p.m.

It's my policy to as brief as possible, and to the point. I often fail, especially when I attempt to mix humor with pontification.

Actually, I wish posts to this blog were even more skeptical.

One has to be very careful with concluding that a skeptic is a cynic. But "one" usually ain't.

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!