Tailgate's "Tasting Room," which opened October 27
  • Tailgate's "Tasting Room," which opened October 27

Tailgate Beer, which moved from San Diego to Tennessee in July, opened a taproom in West Nashville three weeks ago, according to their website.

In May of 2013, Tailgate owner Wesley Keegan and his partners were "adamant" about establishing a brewpub in San Diego, according to a report in the Reader. However, Brandon Hernández wrote that a "set of snags" would delay a planned opening in the East Village.

According to the Nashville Business Journal, Tailgate's was strictly a production and wholesale business before moving. When it moved four months ago, Tailgate had distribution in 14 states, but it has scaled that back to a handful and will now produce only its two most popular brews — Blacktop Blonde and a session IPA, according to the publication.

The beer is currently brewed in Wisconsin, but Keegan expects to brew it onsite in December, once his equipment arrives to help fill up some of the building's 16,000 square feet of space. The brewery is located in a former Moose Lodge, on 7.5 acres of land with a "giant parking lot," according to the journal.

Keegan said people in the industry encouraged him to move to the South, but he has found it tough cracking into the market. The company, which was founded in 2007, left San Diego partly because of the lofty real estate prices.

Comments

MichaelValentine Nov. 18, 2014 @ 2:22 p.m.

I've lived in Tennessee at NAS Millington in 1977. The real estate is cheaper for a reason.

But then again I chose to live in San Diego despite paying over 50% of my income for rent. You get what you pay for.

Don Bauder Nov. 18, 2014 @ 4:45 p.m.

Michael Valentine: It's pronounced Tinn-uss-SAY, isn't it? Best, Don Bauder

MichaelValentine Nov. 18, 2014 @ 5:49 p.m.

Oh crap Don it took me three times just to spell it correctly .... ya'll.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:28 a.m.

Michael Valentine: Now try Mississippi. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 18, 2014 @ 3:32 p.m.

I just thought it was because Tenessee needs an alternate to bourbon.

Don Bauder Nov. 18, 2014 @ 4:46 p.m.

shirleyberan: You mean you don't drink boilermakers? A beer and shot of bourbon. Best, Don Bauder

MichaelValentine Nov. 18, 2014 @ 5:51 p.m.

Good for you Shirley, I used to and it cost me more then two felony arrest.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:29 a.m.

MichaelValentine: DUIs, no doubt. Best, Don Bauder

MichaelValentine Nov. 19, 2014 @ 2:37 p.m.

Surprisingly no, mostly FWI, fighting while intoxicated. Anger issues.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 3:55 p.m.

MichaelValentine: Some people get mellow from alcohol, others get hostile. You must be in the latter category. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:29 a.m.

shirleyberan: Give it a try. Just don't drive afterward. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 18, 2014 @ 6:18 p.m.

Not my flavors Mike. I try to be good, just not always. I know alcohol is tricky business.

MichaelValentine Nov. 18, 2014 @ 8:26 p.m.

Ya waking up in jail with a bandage around your head covering 24 stitches is natures way of telling you that you suck at drinking. I sucked at drinking. Couldn't moderate it so I quit it.

Not that I don't enjoy a little medical cannabis now however from time to time.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:35 a.m.

MichaelValentine: The closest I have come to marijuana is smelling the stuff when others smoked it. The only time I have had any of these recreational drugs was a procedure prior to heart bypass surgery when the doctors gave you a Quaalude (sp?) The second time I had bypass, it was no longer used. I was disappointed. Best, Don Bauder

MichaelValentine Nov. 19, 2014 @ 2:40 p.m.

You should give it a try, it makes the stupid in the world bearable.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 3:57 p.m.

MichaelValentine: Since I was facing bypass surgery, nothing seemed bearable. Best, Don Bauder

MichaelValentine Nov. 19, 2014 @ 7:36 p.m.

Had the bypass now I'm sporting my second implanted cardiac device. Then there was the two cancers .... and now kidney failure.

All covered by that union negotiated health care plan. Screw that as(s)hole Walker.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:31 a.m.

shirleyberan: Alcohol is tricky; I gave it up 40 years ago. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:36 a.m.

shirleyberan: I take prescription drugs by the bushel. Have to. Best, Don Bauder

MichaelValentine Nov. 19, 2014 @ 2:43 p.m.

13 pills a day Don. At least they're paid for by a union negotiated retirement health care plan and don't cost me anything.

America works best when we say yes to unions.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 3:58 p.m.

MichaelValentine: But Wisconsin, which initiated many reforms benefitting working people, is now voting to rein in unions. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 18, 2014 @ 10 p.m.

I haven't had a problem with that but they are over-prescribed with side effects you find out later.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:36 a.m.

shirleyberan: I guess I will find out. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 19, 2014 @ 10:22 a.m.

Your spelling was correct Don. The good ol' days, one once in a great while. Take your krill oil or wild Alaskan salmon and a quality multivitamin. CoQ10 can help lower blood pressure according to Dr. Oz. His website has a lot of useful info for health and preventative. Can't stop BP meds or will dangerously elevate, happened to my mom 25 years ago. I won't use.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 12:57 p.m.

shirleyberan: I take blood pressure medicine even though my blood pressure is not high. Cardiac precaution. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 19, 2014 @ 11:51 a.m.

My husband had the doctor give a drug prescription to our 16 year old daughter for birth control (Yaz something and she wasnt sexually active, trust me) for her teen acne problem. I had her taken off of it as soon as I found out. The side effects were revealed when, don't know how many, kids got blood clots, some died. The same doctor prescribed anti-depressants for me when same husband analyzed, I was depressed. I'm sure that's common too (he was abusive), later heard that antidepressants can increase chances of suicide. Go figure.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 1:01 p.m.

shirleyberan: An abusive husband can a wife depressed. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 19, 2014 @ 1:39 p.m.

OK, now we can get back to the topic of beer.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2014 @ 4:06 p.m.

shirleyberan: We got a head of ourselves. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 19, 2014 @ 6:02 p.m.

You get a heck of a head on a boilermaker and a mess as I recall the once I tried. It's own drinking game.

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2014 @ 7:32 a.m.

shirleyberan: A game only for those with steel stomachs or wooden legs. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 19, 2014 @ 7:31 p.m.

Don - you got me. It's some sick representation of a sexual act for you right?

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2014 @ 7:33 a.m.

shirleyberan: Absolutely not. A head of beer is the foam on top. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 19, 2014 @ 8:47 p.m.

Coconut water and very dark chocolate can help lower BP also. Bananas because of potassium and beets. Look stuff up. Heart problems are most important to reverse. A study of rats given heart problems showed that blueberries, in humans would be half a cup or 1 ?every day reversed in control group, healed heart disease so they lived longer. Dark blue and black berries, food, black rice, tea... High nutrient value food is key.

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2014 @ 7:33 a.m.

shirleyberan: Understood. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Nov. 19, 2014 @ 9:18 p.m.

Don- I meant for Luzzaro, you probably know, Goodnight